How are stellar EM radiation formed?

In summary, a star will emit EM radiation at discrete wavelengths based on the temperature of the object. Black body radiation is a continuous spectra that is created when a body is hot. The continuous spectra is created when atoms are jiggling against each other. When a body gets hotter, the peak frequency of the black body radiation gets higher.
ehabmozart
How are stellar EM radiation formed??

I've read this in many books and sites... Any object above 0 K will emit EM radiation of all wavelengths... Now this is confusing me a lot... I mean, how for example a sun emit wavelength s of a Radio and it is the same sun which emits ultra violet and gamme rays.. How is it possible to emit all kind of wavelengths. Being particular, when we look at a star by prism method, how can we detect an O star which has it's peak wavelength beyond visible light i guess... Finally, why is a peak wavelength formed. Thanks in advance to whoever gives me a good reply!

Physics news on Phys.org

This was confusing me too. But I think I found the answer.

Atoms will emit photons at discrete wavelengths - so you can see characteristic lines for gases like hydrogen etc.

Then there is black body radiation - which is a continuous spectra.

And how this happens. When a body is hot, the atoms jiggle against each other, which causes their electro-magnetic fields to interact. This effectively creates lots of phonons - since atoms movements are largely random you get a broad band of wavelengths - a continuous spectra. Some atoms are moving very fast and some are moving very slowly - two fast atoms hit each other head on they'll slow down to a crawl, and then you'll get a radio wave phonon...and the effect is you can get light with really long wavelengths.

The phonons become photons when they leave the body and travel into empty space.

When a body gets hotter - the intensity of the continuous spectra increases - and because the atoms are moving faster, the peak frequency of the spectra gets higher. And you can tell the temperature of a body by knowing the peak frequency of the black body radiation it's emitting.

There's some lovely formulas too, than govern what you see in the spectra...which I can't remember...If anyone else does?

Also, spiraling relativistic electrons in magnetic fields near astronomical objects (e.g., Crab nebula) emit a continuous wavelength EM spectrum called synchrotron radiation. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_Nebula

Related to How are stellar EM radiation formed?

1. How are stellar EM radiation formed?

Stellar EM radiation, also known as electromagnetic radiation, is formed through nuclear fusion reactions occurring in the cores of stars. These reactions release energy in the form of photons, which make up the electromagnetic radiation emitted by stars.

2. What factors influence the formation of stellar EM radiation?

The formation of stellar EM radiation is influenced by several factors, including the temperature and density of the star's core, the type of nuclear reactions taking place, and the chemical composition of the star's interior.

3. What is the relationship between stellar EM radiation and a star's temperature?

There is a direct relationship between a star's temperature and the type of EM radiation it emits. The hotter a star's core, the higher the energy of the photons emitted, resulting in shorter wavelengths of EM radiation, such as X-rays and ultraviolet light. Cooler stars emit longer wavelengths, such as infrared and radio waves.

4. How does the size of a star affect the formation of its EM radiation?

The size of a star also plays a role in the formation of its EM radiation. Larger stars have more mass, which results in stronger gravitational forces and higher temperatures in the core. This leads to more intense nuclear fusion reactions and the production of higher energy photons.

5. Can stellar EM radiation be observed and studied from Earth?

Yes, stellar EM radiation can be observed and studied from Earth using telescopes and other astronomical instruments. Different wavelengths of EM radiation can provide valuable information about a star's composition, temperature, and other properties, helping scientists better understand the formation and evolution of stars and the universe.