How Are Friction and Angular Velocity Related in the Cube on Funnel Problem?

• Thread starter Ahmed Farhan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube
If ω=0, there is no component of the weight parallel to the inclined surface. So the cube doesn't slide. If ω is increased, the cube will slide down the funnel because there is a component of the weight parallel to the inclinedIn summary, the forces to consider in this problem are the weight of the cube, the normal force exerted on it by the funnel surface, the centripetal force due to the rotation of the funnel, and the frictional force. If there is no relative motion between the cube and the funnel, the net force must be the centripetal force. The direction of the frictional force depends on the value of ω, with a small ω resulting in an
Ahmed Farhan
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
518.jpg

I've uploaded a picture instead of writing the whole problem.
So the forces to consider here are - the weight of the cube, the normal force exerted on it by the funnel surface in contact, the centripetal force, and the frictional force.
If there is no relative motion between the cube and the funnel, then the net force must be the centripetal force. But I can't write out the force equations unless I know whether the frictional force points up the incline or down. I'm guessing it has something to do with ω but I can't be sure and I can't find the right logic.
I want to know if my assumptions are right and if they are, how are the friction and ω related ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed Farhan said:
View attachment 211204
I've uploaded a picture instead of writing the whole problem.
So the forces to consider here are - the weight of the cube, the normal force exerted on it by the funnel surface in contact, the centripetal force, and the frictional force.
If there is no relative motion between the cube and the funnel, then the net force must be the centripetal force. But I can't write out the force equations unless I know whether the frictional force points up the incline or down. I'm guessing it has something to do with ω but I can't be sure and I can't find the right logic.
I want to know if my assumptions are right and if they are, how are the friction and ω related ?
The force of friction can point both up and down the incline. Accordingly, you can get a maximum and a minimum value of ω..

Likes Ahmed Farhan
ehild said:
The force of friction can point both up and down the incline. Accordingly, you can get a maximum and a minimum value of ω..
Thank you for your answer. But what I was trying to understand is if the frictional force points up the incline, why? And if the opposite is true, I want to know the reason too. I simply don't understand the relation between maximum and minimum value of ω and the direction of friction.

Ahmed Farhan said:
Thank you for your answer. But what I was trying to understand is if the frictional force points up the incline, why? And if the opposite is true, I want to know the reason too. I simply don't understand the relation between maximum and minimum value of ω and the direction of friction.
Other than friction, the only forces acting are gravity and the normal force. To maintain position on the funnel, the resultant force needed is centripetal, so radial. Those three are all in the one plane. Since friction acts to oppose relative motion, there is no cause for the frictional force to act out of that plane. Thus it must be directly up or down the funnel.
If ω were not constant then there would be tangential component to the friction.

Likes Ahmed Farhan
Ahmed Farhan said:
Assume the friction is not too high and ω=0, so the funnel is in rest. How does the cube move?
What happens when the funnel rotates very fast?

Likes Ahmed Farhan
ehild said:
Assume the friction is not too high and ω=0, so the funnel is in rest. How does the cube move?
What happens when the funnel rotates very fast?
So I came to the conclusion after thinking over your suggestion that the friction should point up the incline if ω is small and down the incline if it's large. Is my conclusion correct?

haruspex said:
Other than friction, the only forces acting are gravity and the normal force. To maintain position on the funnel, the resultant force needed is centripetal, so radial. Those three are all in the one plane. Since friction acts to oppose relative motion, there is no cause for the frictional force to act out of that plane. Thus it must be directly up or down the funnel.
If ω were not constant then there would be tangential component to the friction.
It's becoming clearer to me now but I'm still a bit confused. if ω weren't constant, why would friction have tangential component? And are you implying there's relative motion up or down the incline? Hope this isn't a silly question.

Ahmed Farhan said:
So I came to the conclusion after thinking over your suggestion that the friction should point up the incline if ω is small and down the incline if it's large. Is my conclusion correct?
Yes.

Likes Ahmed Farhan
Ahmed Farhan said:
if ω weren't constant, why would friction have tangential component?
Because there would be tangential acceleration of the funnel. For the cube to move with it, there would have to be a tangential force on the cube.

Likes Ahmed Farhan
Ahmed Farhan said:
It's becoming clearer to me now but I'm still a bit confused. if ω weren't constant, why would friction have tangential component? And are you implying there's relative motion up or down the incline? Hope this isn't a silly question.
If ω isn't constant, the speed of the block is changing. The radial acceleration, being perpendicular to the motion, can't be the cause; it can only change the direction of the block's movement. There has to be a tangential acceleration parallel to the block's velocity.

Likes Ahmed Farhan
@Ahmed Farhan. Welcome to PF.

Two perpendicular forces act on the mass, m, of the cube, one is radial, due to m and ω, the other vertical due to m and gravity. What is the vector sum of those two forces? What is the direction of that vector? What is the direction of that vector relative to the funnel surface? How does that angle relate to the variable ω ?

Friction acts in the plane of the contact surface. The force on the cube must be resolved into two parts. One component of that force acts normal to the friction surface, it presses the cube onto that surface. The other component acts parallel with the surface. The cube will slide along the friction surface when the parallel component is sufficient to overcome friction.

A coefficient of friction is the ratio of two perpendicular force components.
Do you understand why, and can you explain the importance of; angle = ArcTangent( ratio of forces )?

Likes Ahmed Farhan

Related to How Are Friction and Angular Velocity Related in the Cube on Funnel Problem?

1. What is the "Cube on a funnel problem"?

The "Cube on a funnel problem" is a popular physics thought experiment that challenges the concept of equilibrium. It involves placing a cube on top of a funnel and trying to predict which direction it will fall.

2. How does the shape of the funnel affect the outcome of the experiment?

The shape of the funnel can greatly impact the outcome of the experiment. A narrow funnel will result in the cube falling straight down, while a wide funnel will allow the cube to balance on top. This is due to the center of mass of the cube shifting depending on the shape of the funnel.

3. What is the role of gravity in the "Cube on a funnel problem"?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the "Cube on a funnel problem". It is the force that pulls the cube towards the center of the Earth, and it also determines the direction in which the cube will fall.

4. How can this problem be applied to real-world scenarios?

The "Cube on a funnel problem" can be used to help us understand the concept of equilibrium and how different factors, such as the shape of an object, can affect it. This can be applied to various fields such as architecture, engineering, and even sports.

5. What are some possible solutions to the "Cube on a funnel problem"?

There are a few possible solutions to the "Cube on a funnel problem". One solution is to change the shape of the funnel to find the perfect balance point for the cube. Another solution is to add small weights to the cube to shift its center of mass. Additionally, altering the shape of the cube itself can also affect the outcome of the experiment.