How are entangled particles captured and contained?

In summary, scientists know when to capture particles and contain them by measuring certain properties, and they make measurements to determine if a particle has a certain property.
waylon318
I'll admit I have a very small understanding of this phenomena in general. I read once that entangled particles are emitted as pi mesons decay. What I am unclear about is how do scientists know when to be ready to capture them and how do they contain them? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't the position of the particles (among all its other properties) in question not exist until detected? Then how is it detected? Is it a fact that you have a particle before you perform the appropriate measurements which produce results you compare with that particles' entangled partner? But then before you make those appropriate measurements the particle has a definite position, which seems to me that all its other properties would be definite too.
Wouldn't when you make some measurement on the 'particle' then it will appear and collapse to one of its possible states for each of its properties?

Because what I don't understand is say entangled photons are produced they fly off in opposite directions, for example? But do they really exist then? or is it the case when a measurement is performed one can say they definitely exist?

waylon318 said:
I'll admit I have a very small understanding of this phenomena in general. I read once that entangled particles are emitted as pi mesons decay. What I am unclear about is how do scientists know when to be ready to capture them and how do they contain them? Any help would be much appreciated.
In modern photon entanglement experiments process of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parametric_down_conversion" is used to generate stream of entangled photons.
As wikipedia article says entangled pair is generated at random times and therefore you have to use equipment that registers two simultaneous clicks at different detectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
waylon318 said:

Well, it depends on what you mean. One can for example trap a few ions in an ion trap and then entangle them. The ions will just sit there as pearls on a string.

waylon318 said:

Welcome to PhysicsForums, waylon318!

As zonde says, most entangled pair experiments use light. You shine a laser through a special crystal, and most photons go straight through. About 1 in a million are transformed to an entangled pair which escape off angle slightly. There are special apparati to trap those and funnel them to be experimented upon.

StevieTNZ said:
Wouldn't when you make some measurement on the 'particle' then it will appear and collapse to one of its possible states for each of its properties?

Because what I don't understand is say entangled photons are produced they fly off in opposite directions, for example? But do they really exist then? or is it the case when a measurement is performed one can say they definitely exist?

Of course, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle always applies. Knowledge of one property implies complete uncertainty to its non-commuting partner. Also: it is possible to measure polarization without making either a position or momentum observation - and therefore there is no collapse for either of those.

Ah ok. I had always thought even if you measured one property of a quantum system, all its other properties would stop being a superposition too (of course, only one of position or momentum would stop being a superposition - due to the uncertainty principle).

Related to How are entangled particles captured and contained?

1. How are entangled particles captured and contained?

Entangled particles are captured and contained using a variety of methods, depending on the specific type of particles. One common method is using magnetic fields to trap particles in a specific location. Another method is using lasers to slow down and trap particles. In addition, special containers and chambers are used to keep the particles contained and prevent them from interacting with the environment.

2. What types of particles can be entangled?

Any type of particle can potentially be entangled, including photons, electrons, atoms, and molecules. However, in order for particles to be entangled, they must be able to interact with each other and share quantum properties such as spin or polarization.

3. How are entangled particles created?

Entangled particles are created through a process called quantum entanglement. This involves causing two or more particles to interact in a way that their quantum states become correlated. This can be achieved through various methods such as splitting a single particle or using photon emitters and detectors.

4. What is the importance of capturing and containing entangled particles?

The ability to capture and contain entangled particles is crucial for studying and utilizing quantum entanglement. By keeping the particles isolated and controlled, scientists can perform experiments and tests to better understand the properties and behavior of entangled particles. This is essential for developing technologies such as quantum computing and secure communication.

5. How do scientists measure and verify entanglement of particles?

To measure and verify entanglement of particles, scientists use a variety of techniques such as quantum state tomography, Bell tests, and quantum correlation measurements. These methods involve measuring the properties of the particles and comparing them to expected outcomes based on quantum entanglement theory. These measurements help confirm and quantify the level of entanglement between the particles.