How Are Dressed States Related to AC-Stark Splitting?

• Thread starter Carnot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary, the article discusses the theory of coherent dynamics of complex quantum systems. It discusses how certain models of three-mode multiphoton processes can be described using eigenstates and spectrums.
Carnot
Hi
I have currently read about dressed states, but I don't get what it is.
Does it have something to do with AC-Stark splitting?

Hope someone can give me a nice explanation :-)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Carnot said:
Hi

Thanks

It would have been useful if you made an exact citation of what you are reading (which is something we are trying to instill here in this forum).

A "dressed" state is typically a particle that is surrounded by many-body interaction. In Landau's Fermi Liquid theory, this results in a "quasiparticle", with, say, its mass being renormalized.

Example of dressed quasiparticles can be found in high-Tc superconductors

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/cond-mat/pdf/0504/0504013v1.pdf

So notice that, without giving an exact source, I have no idea what you are referring to and have to resort to what *I* have at hand.

Zz.

Thank you for answering, I thought dressed states might be a specific term but from your reply, it seems to be more of a general term. I'm reading some unpublished lecture notes on quantum optics and my current issue is in regard to a lambda system (see attachment).

I'm not sure what is ment by a dressed state in regard to this lambda system (or lambda systems in general) and what would the dressed state picture of the lambda system look like?

Attachments

• lambda system.jpg
    lambda system.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,631
Carnot said:
Hi

Thanks

Of course it has something to do with AC-Stark splitting.
I advice you consider "dressed states" as jargon , denoting nothing more than some quantum system with some quantum states interacting with other quantum systems.

Due to interaction initial quantum system becomes the system with altered quantum states.

Many physicists like to use "quasiparticle" language (they use orthogonal basis of wave functions of some origin, Bloch, Wannier, Legandre,...). They imagine the proceseses as virtual or real exchange of quasiparticles (interaction is wrote down as transfer from one quantum basis state to another basis wavefunction with some amplitude of probability).
This "exchange" they frequently name as "dressing" with quasiparticles. In your case three level system is dressed with laser fields of photons.

For multiphoton optics i can recommend a book:
Theory of Multiphoton Processes, Farhad H.M. Faisal
http://proxy.bookfi.org/genesis/320000/f2dca95c1dfa35946a94861dff3a1e85/_as/[Farhad_H.M._Faisal]_Theory_of_Multiphoton_Process(BookFi.org).djvu
And some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_induced_transparency
See paragraph "Theory"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autler–Townes_effect

INSTITUTE OF PHYSICS PUBLISHING JOURNAL OF OPTICS B: QUANTUM AND SEMICLASSICAL OPTICS
J. Opt. B: Quantum Semiclass. Opt. 6 (2004) 184–187 PII: S1464-4266(04)69078-1
Eigenstates and spectrum for a class of models describing three-mode multiphoton processes
Ying Wu1,2 and Xiao-xue Yang1

Coherent Dynamics of Complex Quantum Systems
With 140 Figures
Professor Vladimir M. Akulin
Laboratoire Aimé Cotton
Bat 505
Campus d’Orsay
91405 Orsay Cedex, France

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Are Dressed States Related to AC-Stark Splitting?

1. What are dressed states?

Dressed states are a concept in quantum mechanics that describe the energy levels and quantum states of a system in which the particles interact with an external field. These states are often used to simplify calculations and provide a more intuitive understanding of the system.

2. How are dressed states different from bare states?

Dressed states and bare states are two different ways of describing the energy levels and quantum states of a system. Bare states refer to the original, unperturbed states of a system, while dressed states take into account the interaction with an external field. Dressed states are often shifted and have different energy levels compared to bare states.

3. What is the significance of dressed states?

Dressed states are important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems in the presence of external fields. They provide a more intuitive picture of the system and can simplify calculations. Dressed states are also used in various applications, such as in quantum computing and quantum optics.

4. How are dressed states calculated?

Dressed states can be calculated using perturbation theory, which takes into account the interaction between the system and an external field. This involves solving a set of equations and finding the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the system. Alternatively, dressed states can also be obtained through experimental measurements.

5. Can dressed states be observed in real-life systems?

Yes, dressed states have been observed in various real-life systems, such as atoms in an electromagnetic field and superconducting circuits. These observations have provided valuable insights into the behavior of quantum systems and have also been used in practical applications.