How Are Coefficients for Nuclear Forces Derived and Validated?

In summary, nuclear forces are the forces that hold together the particles within an atomic nucleus, binding protons and neutrons together. These forces work by exchanging particles called mesons and are responsible for both binding particles and causing radioactive decay. They were first theorized by Ernest Rutherford and confirmed through experiments in the 1930s. Nuclear forces are crucial for the stability of atoms, the development of nuclear energy and weapons, and the advancement of technology and understanding of the universe.
Javier Lopez
There are some theories, but I am looking for one that have proven using test data and can be placed in an excel table or a program with coefficients for some common reactions.
Do anybody knows a paper with tables or formulas?
I found this with a fortran code that is recent:
http://nucleartalent.github.io/Course2ManyBodyMethods/doc/pub/forces/pdf/forces-print.pdf

I have the following plot from wikipedia but I do not understand so large 100MeV exists
Also following formula:
$$V_{\text{Reid}}(r)=-10.463{\frac {e^{-\mu r}}{\mu r}}-1650.6{\frac {e^{-4\mu r}}{\mu r}}+6484.2{\frac {e^{-7\mu r}}{\mu r}}$$

Also the yukawa formula, that could work (with lower accuracy) if it would be possible to obtain the coefficients for some reactions:
$$V_{\text{Yukawa}}(r)=-g^{2}{\frac {e^{-\mu r}}{r}}$$

ReidPotential.jpg

Attachments

• ReidPotential.jpg
    ReidPotential.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 631
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can suggest looking into the paper "Nuclear Forces and Their Impact on Nuclear Structure" by H. Feldmeier and J. Schnack, which discusses various theories and their corresponding test data and coefficients for common reactions. This paper also includes tables and formulas that can be easily input into an excel table or program.

Additionally, I am familiar with the fortran code you mentioned and it is a reliable source for obtaining coefficients for common reactions. However, it is always important to cross-reference data from multiple sources to ensure accuracy.

Regarding the large 100MeV in the plot from Wikipedia, it is likely due to the high energy of the particles involved in the reaction. This energy is necessary to overcome the strong nuclear force and cause a reaction to occur.

I hope this helps in your research. Best of luck!

Related to How Are Coefficients for Nuclear Forces Derived and Validated?

1. What are nuclear forces?

Nuclear forces are the forces that hold together the particles within an atomic nucleus. They are responsible for binding protons and neutrons together, which are the building blocks of the nucleus.

2. How do nuclear forces work?

Nuclear forces work by exchanging particles called mesons between protons and neutrons. These mesons act as the "glue" that holds the particles together, overcoming the repulsive force between positively charged protons.

3. What is the difference between strong and weak nuclear forces?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for binding protons and neutrons together, while the weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay. The strong force is much stronger than the weak force, but it only acts over a very short distance.

4. How were nuclear forces discovered?

Nuclear forces were first theorized by physicist Ernest Rutherford in the early 1900s. The existence of the strong nuclear force was confirmed in the 1930s through experiments involving the splitting of atoms, known as nuclear fission.

5. What are the implications of nuclear forces?

Nuclear forces are essential for the stability of atoms and the existence of matter as we know it. They also play a crucial role in nuclear energy and the development of nuclear weapons. Understanding nuclear forces has allowed us to unlock the secrets of the universe and develop advanced technologies.