How are branching ratios determined? by experiment only?

In summary: Have a great day!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of branching ratios in nuclear reactions and whether they can be predicted by fundamental theory or if they are determined only by experiments. It is explained that these ratios are computable and are fractions or percentages of the total decays of a certain process. It is also mentioned that these calculations can be done using quantum mechanics or quantum field theory.
WarpedWatch
Greetings,

when I look up how nuclear reactions take place, I often see branching ratios listed as percentages. So I'm wondering: are those ratios determined only by experiment or is there some fundamental theory that can predict what those percentages will be?

many thanks,
Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are studying a process X -> Y, the "rate" at which this process occurs is called [itex]\Gamma(X\rightarrow Y)[/itex]. This is computable. If we denote the TOTAL width (that is, the inverse lifetime, the sum of all possible decay widths for all possible Y, also computable) as [itex]\Gamma(X)[/itex], then a "branching ratio" is defined as:

[tex]\frac{\Gamma(X\rightarrow Y)}{\Gamma(X)}[/tex]

That is, it is the fraction of total decays of X that go into Y. So all this is computable, and it is always a fraction (percentage), since

[tex]\Gamma(X)=\sum_Y \Gamma(X\rightarrow Y)[/tex].

I'm not sure if that answers your question...

These things are all computable from quantum mechanics/quantum field theory.

blechman said:

These things are all computable from quantum mechanics/quantum field theory.

Yes, that is what I wanted to know. I was wondering if this kind of phenomenon is something that could have been figured out without running direct experiments.

many, many thanks for your help,
Mark

yes, one can calculate partial widths directly from Fermi's Golden Rule in Quantum Mechanics (and its relativistic generalizations in Quantum Field Theory) and compare to experiment.

Happy I was able to help!

Related to How are branching ratios determined? by experiment only?

1. How are branching ratios determined in scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, branching ratios are determined by measuring the number of particles produced in different decay channels and comparing them to the total number of particles produced. This ratio is then used to calculate the branching ratio for each decay channel.

2. What techniques are used to determine branching ratios in experiments?

Various techniques are used to determine branching ratios in experiments, such as particle detectors, spectrometers, and calorimeters. These instruments are used to measure the energy and momentum of particles produced in the decay of a parent particle.

3. How accurate are the branching ratios determined by experiments?

The accuracy of branching ratios determined by experiments depends on the precision of the measurement techniques used and the number of events observed. In general, modern experiments have a high level of accuracy, with uncertainties on the order of a few percent.

4. Can branching ratios be determined by theoretical calculations?

Yes, branching ratios can also be determined by theoretical calculations using mathematical models and equations. However, these calculations often rely on experimental data and assumptions, and may have larger uncertainties compared to experimental measurements.

5. Do branching ratios change over time?

Branching ratios can change over time due to improvements in experimental techniques, as well as new theoretical developments. In some cases, previous measurements may be revised or updated based on new data or analysis methods. However, in general, branching ratios are considered to be relatively stable values.