How are atomic radii and H-bond strength related?

In summary, the professor was discussing how molecular attraction is affected by things like the dipole moment and the electronegativities of the elements. He also mentioned that it has something to do with atomic radius.
Saladsamurai
I answered a question that my professor asked: "Why is the boiling point of HF much higher than that of HCl even though HCl has a larger molar mass?"

The answer had to do with F being more electronegative than Cl and thus making stronger H-bonds.

He also said on an aside that it all boils down to atomic radii. What did he mean by that? How are the two correlated?

Thanks!
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
I answered a question that my professor asked: "Why is the boiling point of HF much higher than that of HCl even though HCl has a larger molar mass?"

The answer had to do with F being more electronegative than Cl and thus making stronger H-bonds.

He also said on an aside that it all boils down to atomic radii. What did he mean by that? How are the two correlated?

Thanks!
Casey

A good rule to remember is that H-bonds(such as H-O, H-F, and H-N) > dipole-dipole bonds (such as H-Cl in this case). Another way to look at this is by the atomic radii. The radii for H-F is smaller than H-CL, this makes it much harder to break away due to the Hydrogen being so close to the electronegative Fluorine.

An example for atomic radii, I guess, would be to picture yourself holding someone's hand. Would it be harder to break you two apart while you're closer together or father apart?

Saladsamurai said:

Thanks!
Casey

Study the equation for dipole moment - it is somewhat related to the differences in electronegativity as well as the distance between the charges - the greater the dipole moment within a molecule the greater the intermolecular attraction between molecules.

GCT said:
Study the equation for dipole moment - it is somewhat related to the differences in electronegativity as well as the distance between the charges - the greater the dipole moment within a molecule the greater the intermolecular attraction between molecules.

I will look into that. This is a Materials Science course, so we never really covered this stuff explicitly.

I will do some Wiki-ing :smile:

Related to How are atomic radii and H-bond strength related?

1. How do atomic radii and H-bond strength affect each other?

The size of an atom directly impacts the strength of its hydrogen bonds. Larger atoms have longer bond lengths, which leads to weaker hydrogen bonds. On the other hand, smaller atoms have shorter bond lengths, resulting in stronger hydrogen bonds.

2. Can atomic radii and H-bond strength be used to predict the properties of a compound?

Yes, the relationship between atomic radii and H-bond strength can be used to predict the physical and chemical properties of a compound. For example, compounds with stronger hydrogen bonds tend to have higher melting and boiling points, as well as stronger intermolecular forces.

3. How does electronegativity of atoms impact the strength of hydrogen bonds?

Atoms with higher electronegativity have a stronger pull on the shared electrons in a hydrogen bond, resulting in a stronger bond. This means that as the electronegativity of atoms increases, the strength of hydrogen bonds also increases.

4. Are there exceptions to the relationship between atomic radii and H-bond strength?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this relationship. For example, the hydrogen bond strength between water molecules is stronger than expected based on the size of the atoms involved. This is due to the unique structure of water molecules and the presence of lone pairs on the oxygen atom.

5. Can the strength of hydrogen bonds be modified by changing the atomic radii of the atoms involved?

Yes, the strength of hydrogen bonds can be altered by changing the atomic radii of the atoms involved. This can be achieved by replacing one atom with a larger or smaller atom, or by manipulating the bond lengths through chemical reactions. However, it is important to note that drastic changes in atomic radii can significantly impact the overall structure and stability of a compound.