What Are the Most Common Fears and How Can They Be Overcome?

• Thread starter Viper
  • Start date
In summary: I think it's good to have a small fear of God, in the sense that a healthy respect for Him is useful, but not to the point where you're afraid to approach Him.In summary, the conversation covers various fears that individuals have, ranging from specific things like jellyfish, dogs, spiders, and bugs, to more abstract fears like authority and fundamentalism. Some individuals also mention fears related to their personal lives, such as lying to parents or facing terminal illness. The conversation also touches on the topic of phobias and whether they can be reasoned with. Overall, the conversation sheds light on the different things that can elicit fear in individuals and how they cope with it.
Viper
Is there anything in the world your scared of?
I hate Jellyfish

Physics news on Phys.org
Dogs.
Children.

I have an ambivalent attitude towards spiders. I am both scared and fascinated by them, (the wonders of a biology students mind :smile:).

Women that say, "...that's OK..." with raised eyebrows.

Originally posted by Viper
Is there anything in the world your scared of?
I hate Jellyfish
Yes, nausea and pain.

Just to share it with the world ( at least the world which browses PF =P ), I have a severe insectophobia...any kinda bugs, they creep me out all the way. Oh and horseshoe crabs, they look too much like the prehistoric shell crabs which look like bugs... eww yucks... =(

Parents who find out youve been lying about no homework

Not too much, allthough whenever there is a possibiity of being in sudden severe pain, I get scared.

ism's like; Totalitarianism, Authoritarianism, Militarism, etc.

Books which tell you "how to think". Articles which people say will "change your life". People who don't let the facts get in the way of the Truth...

The phrase "______ Reform" terrifies me (read that phrase "Insurance will cost more", or "Taxes will cost you more" etc).

Snakes and rats (fortunately, if you have the former, you don't have the latter).

Tattooed lady bikers.

Calculus (It might as well be taught by lady bikers).

the dark

oh, and bugs

bugs and spiders

snakes, high places

ALLAH "Lâ ilaha illa Huwa" (none has the right to be worshipped but He). It is He Who gives life and causes death, your Lord and the Lord of your forefathers.
Nay! They play in doubt.
Then wait you for the Day when the sky will bring forth a visible smoke.
Covering the people, this is a painful torment
QURAN _ DUKHAN _ (9-11)

People who think that the slaughter of innocent people perpetrated by terrorists is somehow justified by their nonsensical religious books.

Long, drawn out and painful terminal illness.

Originally posted by Tom
People who think that the slaughter of innocent people perpetrated by terrorists is somehow justified by their nonsensical religious books.
That reminds me of another one... fundamentalism

Marriage.

not knowing what's happening to my body, like when i faint or get stoned; 'oh dear that doesn't feel right! am i dying?' i would love to study medicine just so i might conquer this fear

bugs. or anything small creeping up behind me.

Nucleur Holocaust

death

1) SARS (severe acute respiratory syndromes)
2) go to see a doctor
3) my form mistress in grade 9
4) typing 3000+ words book reports
5) high pitch screams
6) people who like crying

snakes, definitely snakes.

BEES! I can't think of a single other phobia I have (unless you count the fear of being squashed (which is actually mild claustrophobia)), but this one can keep me inside the house for days on end, if I let it!

Originally posted by steppenwolf
not knowing what's happening to my body, like when i faint or get stoned; 'oh dear that doesn't feel right! am i dying?' i would love to study medicine just so i might conquer this fear
Do you do a lot of fainting, steppenwolf?

Big pythons and annacondas are so cool and not scary. Bees are...

Orginally posted by Mentat
BEES!
Orginally posted by Viper
Big pythons and annacondas are so cool and not scary. Bees are...
Few years ago, my friend and I caught 3 bees in a park using a plastic bag, and then transferred them to a glass jar.

Did you get stung?

no. I think the bees didn't even know we were catching them. Bees aren't that scary as long as they don't stay on your skin. Even if they stay on your skin, just remain calm, wait for a sting or wait until they fly away.

Because we have a lot of countryside we have a lot of bees. At school on Thursday some boys kicked a football into a bee hive and this dropped onto our playing field and we were not allowed to go near it. They were so cross. Id of liked to of seen you try to catch them!

Probabaly I'd become a bee hive if I tried to catch them. :wink:

and a trip to casualty

*Homeless people, beggars and drunks
*my dad
*the monsters in my cupboard and the ones under my bed