How Accurate Is This Trigonometric Solution?

• Thread starter Nexus555
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, the equation 4sec180° - 2sin2270° simplifies to -6. The square of a real number must always have a positive sign. When looking at the trigonometric function sec in standard position, a point with x-coordinate 5 and y-coordinate 0 gives a secant value of 1. The reason why the calculator outputs -1 for sec(180) is because the angle 180° lies in both the negative and positive x quadrants, making the cosine value -1.
Nexus555

Homework Statement

4sec180° - 2sin2270°

The Attempt at a Solution

sec(180 is -1.

So we have 4(-1) which is -4

sin2(270 is -1
So we have 2(-1)

This now reads -4 - -2

Answer = -2

Is this correct or do I suck at this? =(

Physics news on Phys.org
What sign must the square of a real number always have?

Positive?

Yes. sin(270)= -1 so sin2(270)= (-1)2= (-1)(-1)= 1.

Ok let me try this again:

The attempt at a solution

sec(180 is -1.

So we have 4(-1) which is -4

sin2(270 is (-1)2 which is 1

So we have 2(1)

This now reads -4 - 2

Answer = -6

Is this right?

Last edited:
Ok here is another question, a bit off topic. I know that sec(180 = -1. But this is the question I have.

-When looking at 180° in standard position, we realize that y is 0 and x is any given number along the x axis.
-sec is understood to be r/x.

- So let's say I choose (5,0)
-I need to find r, so we do square root of (5)2 + (0)2
-Which leads to the square root of 25
-Squared is 5

Therefore 5/5 = 1 and sec=1

My question is why in the calculator it says sec(180 is -1? Is it because 180° lies in both the negative x quadrants (II and III) and the postive x quadrants (I and IV?) Since it lies in both a negative and positive x axis, it must be -1 instead of 1? This confuses me a little bit, I know I probably sound like a moron for even asking such a question.

Last edited:
Remember [tex]\sec x = \frac{1}{\cos x}[/tex] by definition. Do you remember the definitions of the trig functions on the unit circle? If you do, Cos 180° should be quite easy seen to be 1 =]

Plot your (5,0) point on a graph. Draw an arrow from the origin to the point. Which direction (degrees) does the arrow point?

Related to How Accurate Is This Trigonometric Solution?

1. What is the difference between sec, sin, and cos?

Secant (sec), sine (sin), and cosine (cos) are trigonometric functions used to calculate the ratios of sides in a right triangle. Secant is the reciprocal of cosine, and sine is the reciprocal of cosine. Cosine represents the adjacent side over the hypotenuse, while sine represents the opposite side over the hypotenuse.

2. How are sec, sin, and cos used in real-world applications?

These trigonometric functions are used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, secant and tangent can be used to calculate the height of a building or the length of a shadow. Sine and cosine are used in analyzing wave patterns in physics and in determining ship and aircraft positions in navigation.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it related to sec, sin, and cos?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a coordinate system. It is used to understand the values of trigonometric functions at different angles. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents cosine, and the y-coordinate represents sine. Therefore, secant and tangent can be calculated by taking the reciprocal of cosine and sine, respectively.

4. How can I remember the values of sec, sin, and cos for different angles?

One way to remember the values of these trigonometric functions is through the acronym "SOHCAHTOA", which stands for "sine equals opposite over hypotenuse, cosine equals adjacent over hypotenuse, and tangent equals opposite over adjacent". You can also create a table or use a calculator to determine the values for specific angles.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using sec, sin, and cos?

One common mistake is confusing the inverse trigonometric functions, such as secant, cosecant, and cotangent, with the reciprocal functions, such as secant, sine, and cosine. Another mistake is forgetting to convert between degrees and radians when necessary. It is also important to pay attention to the signs of the values, as they can change depending on the quadrant of the angle.