How Accurate is the Integral Length Calculation in Turbulence Studies?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the integral length of turbulence flow using wind measurement data. The formula used seems to be correct, but the results are questionable due to the unusual shape of the autocorrelation function. The speaker suggests checking the data and trying different approaches, such as using the "xcorr" function in MATLAB or using a different software or programming language. It is also important to ensure consistent units throughout the calculation.
ATY
##\require{color} \color{white} \colorbox{crimson} {Mod Note: to see images in this post displayed correctly, click on Reply and view this in editor}##

Hey guys, I need your help. It is about the integral length of turbulence flow.
So we got data from some wind measurement, recorded at 60000Hz.
My tutor already told me that we should get something like 0.18 m as result.
We got the formula L = 1/<u^2(x)>*sum(autocorrelation(Data))
I tried to use
Code:
L=sum(xcorr(Data)/max(xcorr(Data)));
L=L*(1/freq)*meanu/mean(Data.^2);
(I used (1/freq)*mean) to give "L" a unit)

I get the correct result of around 0.18 m, but the autocorrelation function is a triangle
e8cdd4fbba.png

So this does not seem to be correct. I tried it also with some other formula which I found around the Internet.

Code:
x = [ Data];
x_pad = [x zeros(size(x))];
X     = fft(x_pad);
X_psd = abs(X).^2;
r_xx = ifft(X_psd);
r_xxx=r_xx(:,1)

I still get the same result for the integral length, but this time the function is different.
1c9e6aa5f5.png

So...I am not sure about this one. Maybe it is correct, just the way the function is shown is weird.I also tried the regular autcorr thing it matlab, which gave me wrong results (or I have simply no clue how to use it correctly) for the length but a good image
Code:
sum((autocorr(Data,length(Data)-1))/freq*meanu)
a7d388be2e.png
I hope that somebody can give me an advice or a hint where the problem is.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, I would like to commend you for seeking help and trying different approaches to solve this problem. it is important to be open to feedback and continuously seek improvement in our methods.

From what I understand, you are trying to calculate the integral length of turbulence flow using wind measurement data. The formula you are using seems to be correct, but the issue lies in the autocorrelation function. The triangle shape you are getting is not a typical shape for an autocorrelation function, which is why you are getting questionable results.

I would suggest checking your data and making sure that it is properly pre-processed before calculating the autocorrelation function. It is possible that there are errors in the data that are affecting the results.

Another approach you can try is to use a different method for calculating the autocorrelation function. You can try using the built-in "xcorr" function in MATLAB, which takes into account the sampling frequency and can give you more accurate results. You can also try using a different software or programming language to calculate the autocorrelation function and see if you get different results.

In addition, make sure to check the units of your data and calculations. It is important to have consistent units throughout the calculation to avoid errors.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

Related to How Accurate is the Integral Length Calculation in Turbulence Studies?

What is the integral length of turbulence?

The integral length of turbulence is a measure of the length scale over which turbulent fluctuations persist. It is the average distance between two points in a turbulent flow where the correlation between the velocities is significant.

How is the integral length of turbulence calculated?

The integral length of turbulence can be calculated using various methods, such as the Taylor's frozen turbulence hypothesis, which assumes that turbulence is frozen in space and can be measured using spatial correlations of velocity fluctuations.

What is the significance of the integral length of turbulence?

The integral length of turbulence is an important parameter in understanding the behavior and characteristics of turbulent flows. It helps in predicting the time and length scales of turbulent motions, and is used in various turbulence models for flow simulations.

How does the integral length of turbulence vary in different types of flows?

The integral length of turbulence varies depending on the type of flow, such as laminar, transitional, or fully turbulent. In laminar flows, the integral length is small, while in fully turbulent flows, it is much larger due to the presence of high levels of turbulence.

What factors can affect the integral length of turbulence?

The integral length of turbulence can be affected by several factors, including the flow velocity, viscosity, and geometry of the flow. It can also be influenced by external conditions, such as changes in temperature or pressure, and the presence of obstacles or boundaries in the flow.