How Accurate is the Freezing Point Calculation for Ethanol at 1000 atm?

In summary, the freezing point of ethanol is 3.65degC and its density changes from 0.789g/cm-3 to 0.801g/cm-3. The latent heat of fusion is 8.68kJ/mol and the freezing point at 1000 atm can be calculated using the equation dt=(dp*t*dfusV)/dfusH, where dfusV is the change in molar volume on melting. By rearranging the equation and converting 1000 atm to pascals, the change in temperature is determined to be 15.54deg and the final freezing point is 11.8956degC. Using t=273.15K is a standard practice in chemistry and
koomanchoo
ethanol 46g/mol freezes at 3.65degC density changes from 0.789g/cm-3 to 0.801g/cm-3 latent hear of fusion 8.68kJ/mol. freezing point at 1000 atm.

i calculated the ansfer from an example and just want to verify if its correct.

dp/dt=(dfusH)/(t*dfusV) rearanged to dt=(dp*t*dfusV)/dfusH
where dfusV: change in molar volume on melting

okay, with the rearanged equation i changed 1000 atm to pascals = 101325 kPa dfusV was calculated to be 4.875399e-6 m3/mol
i came to a change in temperature of 15.54deg hence final freezing point is 11.8956degC.

could anyone plese help me and tell me if this is correct
also.. in teh equation t=273.15K was used.. could anyone please tell me why this was the case?
thanks
patrick.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the freezing point, but you can probably find a table that gives you that data so you can check your answers.

Also, you use t = 273.15 Kelvins because that is, in basic terms, the accepted unit of temperature in chemistry/physics, etc. You will use Kelvins in the gas laws, thermochemistry and thermophysics, and pretty much everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your calculation looks correct to me. In the equation, t=273.15K is used because it is the standard temperature at which most thermodynamic calculations are performed. This temperature is equivalent to 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important to use a standard temperature in thermodynamic calculations to ensure accuracy and consistency.

Related to How Accurate is the Freezing Point Calculation for Ethanol at 1000 atm?

1. How is the freezing point of a substance determined?

The freezing point of a substance is determined by measuring the temperature at which the solid and liquid phases of the substance are in equilibrium. This is typically done using a thermometer and a cooling bath, where the temperature is gradually lowered until the substance begins to freeze.

2. What factors can affect the freezing point of a substance?

The freezing point of a substance can be affected by factors such as pressure, impurities, and the presence of other substances. For example, increasing pressure can lower the freezing point, while adding impurities can raise the freezing point.

3. How accurate are freezing point estimations?

The accuracy of a freezing point estimation depends on several factors, including the precision of the equipment used, the purity of the substance being tested, and the skill of the person performing the measurement. Generally, freezing point estimations are considered to be quite accurate, with a margin of error of only a few degrees Celsius.

4. Can freezing point estimations be used to identify unknown substances?

Yes, freezing point estimations can be used as a method of identifying unknown substances. Each substance has a unique freezing point, so by comparing the estimated freezing point of an unknown substance to known values, it can be identified.

5. How is freezing point estimation used in real-world applications?

Freezing point estimation has many practical applications, such as in the food industry to ensure the quality and safety of frozen foods, in the production of antifreeze solutions for vehicles, and in the development and testing of new chemical compounds. It is also used in research and development, as well as in educational settings to teach students about the properties of different substances.