How Accurate Can an Atwood Machine Measure Gravity?

In summary: You should be able to get a simple expression for dg/g in terms of dm/m, which is what you want.In summary, we discussed using Atwood's machine to measure local acceleration of gravity with 5% accuracy. By summing forces and using equations for acceleration and position, we derived an expression for g in terms of the masses, distance, and time. Then, by taking the derivative and simplifying, we related dg/g to dt/t. Finally, we determined that to measure g with 5% accuracy, we would need to adjust the mass m_2, and that increasing accuracy to 1% would require a larger mass.
Johnny0290

Homework Statement

Consider the Atwood's machine of Lecture 8. We wish to use this machine to measure our local acceleration of gravity with an accuracy of 5% [i.e. (Delta g)/g = 0.05]. To begin, suppose we let the mass m_1 fall through a distance L.

3.1 Find an expression for the acceleration of gravity, g, in terms of m_1, m_2, L and t.

3.2 Now suppose we are able to measure time with an accuracy of (Delta t) = 0.1 s. Assuming that, for example, (Delta t)/t can be approximated by the differential dt/t, write the relationship between (Delta g)/g and (Delta t)/t. You can do this by starting with the derivative dg/dt determined from the equation in the previous part.

3.3 If L = 3 m and m_1 = 1 kg, determine the value of m_2 required to determine g to 5%. If we want to measure g to 1% would the mass m_2 increase or decrease - why? (On your own, you might want to consider the effect of the uncertainty in the masses of m_1 and m_2 on the determination of g.)

Homework Equations

F=ma
x-x_0=v_o*t+.5*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I summed up the forces on the two masses and solved for the acceleration of the blocks.

I ended up with...
a=g(m1-m2)/(m1+m2)

Then I used x-x_0=v_o*t+.5*a*t^2 and solved for the acceleration.
a=2L/t^2

Combing the two equations and solving for gravity I got...
g=(2L(m1+m2))/((m1-m2)t^2)

I took the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to t and got...
dg/dt=(-4L(m1+m2))/((m1-m2)t^3)

My attempt to relate dg/g to dt/t

dg/g=(-4L(m1+m2))dt / ((m1-m2)gt^3)

And that's where I'm stuck. I'm not sure if I did everything right and I can't figure out what I have to plug into do part 3.3

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that you got tangled up in all those symbols. You can make your life simpler if you look at it this way. The expression for g is of the form

g = C t2, where C is a constant.

Now take the derivative and see what you get. BTW, the derivative of t2 does not go as t3.

Johnny0290 said:
I took the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to t and got...
dg/dt=(-4L(m1+m2))/((m1-m2)t^3)

My attempt to relate dg/g to dt/t

dg/g=(-4L(m1+m2))dt / ((m1-m2)gt^3)
Good. Now simplify by plugging your earlier expression for g into the right hand side.

Related to How Accurate Can an Atwood Machine Measure Gravity?

1. What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple device used to study the effects of gravity on a system. It consists of two masses, typically connected by a string or rope, that are suspended over a pulley. The masses can be different, and their difference in weight causes the system to accelerate.

2. How does an Atwood Machine demonstrate the effects of gravity?

An Atwood Machine demonstrates the effects of gravity by showing how different masses experience different amounts of acceleration due to gravity. The heavier mass will pull down with a greater force, causing the system to accelerate in that direction.

3. What is the relationship between the masses in an Atwood Machine?

The relationship between the masses in an Atwood Machine is that they are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as one mass increases, the other will decrease, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the equation: m1/m2 = a2/a1, where m1 and m2 are the masses and a1 and a2 are the accelerations.

4. How does the angle of the pulley affect the acceleration in an Atwood Machine?

The angle of the pulley has no effect on the acceleration in an Atwood Machine. The acceleration is determined solely by the difference in masses and the force of gravity. However, a larger angle may cause more friction, which could slightly affect the acceleration.

5. Can an Atwood Machine be used to show the effects of air resistance on gravity?

No, an Atwood Machine cannot be used to show the effects of air resistance on gravity. This is because the strings or ropes used in an Atwood Machine do not experience significant amounts of air resistance, and any air resistance on the masses themselves would be negligible compared to the force of gravity.