How about starting a dictionary TAB for the Forum?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter SciencewithDrJ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a forum dictionary for quick and easy reference in the field of physics, astronomy, and cosmology. While some suggest using existing sources like Wikipedia or nLab, others believe a concise dictionary with contributions from forum members could be beneficial. The reliability and accuracy of Wikipedia is also discussed, with some citing studies that found it to be comparable or even superior to traditional encyclopedias. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the agreement that Wikipedia can be a useful source for general knowledge, but should not be used as a primary source.
SciencewithDrJ
Many times for easy and quick reference, a forum dictionary may be handy. I just joined in recently, so I am not sure if PF ever considered this before.

The dictionary can be by open contribution (Wiki style), but should have only brief definitions and even diagrams or images if possible. All members can contribute, so it will be open source, but a committee of 20 members can perhaps oversea all entries to ensure quality. Definitions may be restricted to only Physics-Astronomy-Cosmology, not other sciences, otherwise it will be far too large.

Physics news on Phys.org
SciencewithDrJ said:
Many times for easy and quick reference, a forum dictionary may be handy. I just joined in recently, so I am not sure if PF ever considered this before.
We long considered this, but in the end, wikipedia is already very extensive and with reasonable quality. Why reinvent the wheel? :smile:

Likes phinds, fresh_42 and ISamson
Greg Bernhardt said:
We long considered this, but in the end, wikipedia is already very extensive and with reasonable quality. Why reinvent the wheel? :smile:
And nLab, or Scholarpedia. As quick reference guides they are pretty good. And if nothing helps, there is still one of my favorite tricks on Wikipedia: change language! The English, German, French and Spanish versions are quite complete. Often it doesn't really matter what the words are, e.g. to look up formulas (series, integrals, major functions, lists, e.g. small groups, etc.) and I even partially found proofs of these formulas in one but not the other language version.

Likes SciencewithDrJ
Greg Bernhardt said:

Yes, indeed. But many times, when in search of only a concise definition, Wikipedia offers an extensive coverage. I know this will be a big undertaking. Thanks for letting me know.

Likes ISamson
fresh_42 said:

I was not aware of those two sources. Thanks for the tip.

Likes ISamson
Wikipedia articles always start with an introduction. I don’t see how separate short articles would be better just because they would be short, even if we ignore the point that they would have to be written first.

I know, Wikipedia has become a quite reliable source, and they have extensive references on many entries.

SciencewithDrJ said:
I know, Wikipedia has become a quite reliable source,

{ZapperZ chokes on his drink}

Likes Tom.G
ZapperZ said:
{ZapperZ chokes on his drink}
1. Quite a few responses posted on PF were sourced from Wikipedia, and by people who seem to know what they are doing.

2. I have checked many subjects in my own field lately and I noticed that the information is quite accurate and several references were cited that were sourced from recognized journals in the field.

3. Oxford University conducted a study on this and found the results concerning Wikipedia articles to be quite accurate, even more so than Encyclopedia Britannica. A pilot study conducted by Epic, an e-learning consultancy, in partnership with Oxford University – “Assessing the Accuracy and Quality of Wikipedia Entries Compared to Popular Online Alternative Encyclopaedias: A Preliminary Comparative Study Across Disciplines in English, Spanish and Arabic.”

4. I always check the references when I look at Wikipedia information.

Likes ISamson
SciencewithDrJ said:
1. Quite a few responses posted on PF were sourced from Wikipedia, and by people who seem to know what they are doing.

2. I have checked many subjects in my own field lately and I noticed that the information is quite accurate and several references were cited that were sourced from recognized journals in the field.

3. Oxford University conducted a study on this and found the results concerning Wikipedia articles to be quite accurate, even more so than Encyclopedia Britannica. A pilot study conducted by Epic, an e-learning consultancy, in partnership with Oxford University – “Assessing the Accuracy and Quality of Wikipedia Entries Compared to Popular Online Alternative Encyclopaedias: A Preliminary Comparative Study Across Disciplines in English, Spanish and Arabic.”

4. I always check the references when I look at Wikipedia information.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/why-you-should-not-use-wikipedia-as-your-primary-source/

And somewhere in the history of PF, I had posted a response to that study. Wish I could dine it again.

Zz.

I think we can all agree wikipedia for general purpose knowledge of subjects is pretty good. Not primary source good, but pretty good. Let's leave it at that.

Likes fresh_42, dlgoff and Bystander

Related to How about starting a dictionary TAB for the Forum?

1. What is the purpose of a dictionary TAB for the Forum?

A dictionary TAB for the Forum would serve as a resource for members to easily access definitions and explanations of commonly used terms and jargon within the scientific community. It would also provide a platform for discussions and debates about the meanings and usage of these terms.

2. Who would be responsible for creating and maintaining the dictionary TAB?

The creation and maintenance of the dictionary TAB would be a collaborative effort among members of the Forum. A team of moderators or volunteers could be designated to update and expand the dictionary as needed.

3. How would terms be selected for inclusion in the dictionary TAB?

Members of the Forum could suggest terms to be included in the dictionary through a submission process. The team responsible for maintaining the dictionary could also conduct research and gather input from other scientific sources to ensure the accuracy and relevance of the terms included.

4. Will the dictionary TAB be limited to a specific field of science?

The dictionary TAB could initially focus on terms commonly used in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, and other natural sciences. However, it could also expand to include terms from other scientific disciplines based on the needs and interests of the Forum members.

5. How would the dictionary TAB benefit members of the Forum?

The dictionary TAB would provide a valuable resource for members to enhance their understanding and communication within the scientific community. It would also promote a common language and facilitate discussions and debates on scientific topics. Additionally, it could serve as a useful tool for students and researchers to learn and clarify scientific terminology.