How about Designing a Non-Sequential Digital Counter?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a digital counter that follows a specific sequence using four states (A = 00, B = 01, C = 10, D = 11) and two flip-flops. However, it is determined that eight states are needed for the counter to properly function. The conversation also mentions the use of a state diagram and provides a proposed sequence for the states.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hello, I need to create a digital counter that follows this sequence:

00, 10, 01, 11, 01, 00, 11, 10
A , C, B, D, B, A, D, C

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

There are four states (A = 00, B = 01, C = 10, D = 11) so I believe I need two flip-flops. There are eight transitions and then the counter should wrap. I'm having a hard time drawing the state diagram for this.

Here's what I have so far.

non-sequential-counter-state-diagram.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The sequence does not repeat in what you showed, so you will need to add another FF to tell you whether it's the first time through AC... or 2nd time through AD...

JJBladester said:

Homework Statement

Hello, I need to create a digital counter that follows this sequence:

00, 10, 01, 11, 01, 00, 11, 10
A , C, B, D, B, A, D, C

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

There are four states (A = 00, B = 01, C = 10, D = 11) so I believe I need two flip-flops. There are eight transitions and then the counter should wrap. I'm having a hard time drawing the state diagram for this.

Here's what I have so far.

non-sequential-counter-state-diagram.jpg

Hey Bladester, wasn't it a couple of years ago when you posted your first problem of this type? You must be about ready to graduate, eh?

I agree with Berkeman. You need 8 states instead of 4. Otherwise, for example, when the machine is in state A, how can it know whether to proceed to C or D next? So try:$$
y_2y_1y_0=000, 010, 001, 011, 101, 100, 111, 110, 000$$Then the output ##y_1y_0## gives you your sequence.

Related to How about Designing a Non-Sequential Digital Counter?

What is a non-sequential counter design?

A non-sequential counter design is a type of electronic circuit that counts binary numbers in a non-sequential order. Instead of counting in a traditional sequence (0, 1, 2, 3...), a non-sequential counter design can count in any desired order (e.g. 0, 3, 5, 2, 7...).

What are the applications of non-sequential counters?

Non-sequential counters are commonly used in electronic devices such as digital clocks, calculators, and frequency dividers. They can also be used in more complex circuits for applications such as data encryption and error detection.

What is the difference between a synchronous and asynchronous non-sequential counter?

A synchronous non-sequential counter uses a clock signal to synchronize the counting process, while an asynchronous non-sequential counter does not rely on a clock signal and counts at its own pace.

What are the advantages of using a non-sequential counter design?

Non-sequential counters offer more flexibility and precision in counting compared to traditional sequential counters. They also allow for more efficient use of digital circuits and can be tailored to specific counting needs.

What are the limitations of non-sequential counters?

Non-sequential counters can be more complex and require more components compared to traditional sequential counters. They may also be more prone to errors and require careful design and testing to ensure accuracy.