Hot water / cold steam interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of two adiabatic volumes, V1 and V2, connected by a valve. V1 is initially filled with water at high pressure and V2 is initially filled with steam at lower pressure and temperature. The question is what happens when the valve is opened. The end state is expected to be liquid at a specific pressure and temperature. The conversation also touches on the second principle of thermodynamics and the need for further research to find a solution for this situation.
bamse207
Hello,

I came to consider the following problem, and cannot seem to find the right way to tackle it.
It is not homework, merely a question I'd like to address out of personal curiosity:

Consider two volumes V1 and V2, each assumed adiabatic, and linked with a valve.
V1 is considered infinite (or at least very big compared to V2), V2 being finite and small compared to V1.
V1 is initially filled with, say, water, in liquid state at high pressure (T1, P1). T1 being below the saturation temperature at P1.
V2 is initially filled with steam at lower pressure and temperature (T2 < T1, P2 << P1)
At t=0, the valve is opened, what happens then?
According to the second principle, heat cannot be transferred from the cold steam to the hot water.
However it seems obvious to me that the end state would be liquid, at ~P1 and some other temperature.

Qualitatively, I'm expecting the liquid would flash through the valve from V1 to V2, which would gradually increase P2, until it equals P1. During that process, somehow, the steam in V2 would condense, increasing T2 upto a point where T2 > T1, from which heat can diffuse. Does this sound correct?

Any tips on the right approach to solving this? I've been through a couple of thermodynamics books, and couldn't find any mention of such a situation. Any pointers or keywords to look for to help me find an answer to such a case would be highly appreciated!

thanks!
Laurent
PS: this is my first post here, I hope I've found the right place for it...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you have to give values to V1 and V2 then calculate the total mass and energy in V1 and V2 then combine them and see what temperature water you're left with.

Related to Hot water / cold steam interaction

1. What causes hot water and cold steam to interact?

The interaction between hot water and cold steam is caused by the difference in temperature between the two substances. When the hot water is introduced to the cold steam, the heat from the water is transferred to the steam, causing it to heat up and expand, leading to the interaction between the two substances.

2. How does the temperature of the water and steam affect their interaction?

The temperature of the water and steam directly affects their interaction. When the temperature difference between the two substances is large, the interaction will be more intense as the heat transfer is more rapid. However, if the temperature difference is small, the interaction will be less noticeable.

3. Is the interaction between hot water and cold steam dangerous?

In most cases, the interaction between hot water and cold steam is not dangerous. However, caution should be taken when handling hot water and steam as they can both cause burns. It is important to let the steam and water cool down before touching or handling them.

4. Can hot water and cold steam interact without any external force?

Yes, hot water and cold steam can interact without any external force. This is due to the natural process of heat transfer, where heat moves from a hotter object to a colder object. In this case, the hot water transfers its heat to the cold steam, causing them to interact.

5. What factors can affect the intensity of the interaction between hot water and cold steam?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can affect the intensity of the interaction between hot water and cold steam include the volume and pressure of the substances, as well as the rate at which the hot water is introduced to the cold steam. These factors can impact the speed and efficiency of the heat transfer process between the two substances.