Hot Objects Don't Always Accelerate - Puzzling Physics Explained

In summary, the professor in the video "The Joy of Science" on thermodynamics stated that hot objects do not always accelerate, which goes against the common belief. The speaker tried to find an answer through Google, but was unable to. It is unclear how to visualize this concept. However, the statement may have been taken out of context as the professor went on to explain the formula for work. It should be noted that work is calculated by force multiplied by distance, not acceleration. The speaker realizes their initial question was not well thought out, as the flow of heat can be constant without any acceleration.
CarrotHole
was just watching this video(The joy of science) on thermodynamics, and the proffesor of the video said "hot objects don't always accelerate." this went against what i previously thought. tried googling it but couldn't find an answer. i don't know how to picture this. how?

Physics news on Phys.org
not sure if i put his statement out of context, but after he mentioned it he went to go on and explain work = acceleration x distance.

That is a strange quote, of course hot objects don't always accelerate. If they did then your stove would have to chase your pot in order to boil water. I don't know what they were trying to express.

By the way, work=force.distance not acceleration. If you push a box along the ground you do work, but if the friction force is equal to your pushing force there will be no acceleration despite all the work you do.

ok thanks i just realized what a dumb question that was, because the heat can go at a constant flow. thanks

Related to Hot Objects Don't Always Accelerate - Puzzling Physics Explained

1. Why do hot objects not always accelerate?

Hot objects do not always accelerate because their acceleration is dependent on their mass, not their temperature. According to Newton's second law of motion, the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. So, even if an object is hot, it will not accelerate unless an external force is acting on it.

2. Can hot objects ever accelerate?

Yes, hot objects can accelerate if an external force is acting on them. For example, if a hot object is placed on a slope, it will accelerate down the slope due to the force of gravity.

3. Why do we sometimes see hot objects accelerate?

We may see hot objects accelerate in certain situations because they are already in motion due to an external force. For example, if a hot air balloon is rising due to the heat of the air inside, it may appear to be accelerating even though the force of gravity is acting against it.

4. Is there a difference in the acceleration of hot and cold objects?

No, the temperature of an object does not affect its acceleration. As mentioned before, acceleration is determined by an object's mass and the external forces acting on it, not its temperature.

5. How does the temperature of an object affect its motion?

The temperature of an object can affect its motion indirectly by influencing the behavior of the molecules or particles within the object. For example, if a hot object is dropped in a cold environment, the molecules in the object will cool down and become less active, causing the object to slow down due to a decrease in kinetic energy.