Hot-Melt system design project

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a system for bead deposition of thermoplastic. The person asking the question has found a resource on adhesive deposition systems and is considering creating a simplified version of it. They are considering using an open top tank connected to a geared pump and automatic solenoid valve, but are unsure if it would work or if a pressurized tank would be needed. Another person suggests using a nozzle to force the plastic through, similar to a 3D printer or hot glue gun, instead of melting an entire tank of plastic. The original person asks if this method would still achieve bead deposition at a rate of 1500-300 beads per minute.
MMCS
Hi,

I have been given a project to design a system that can "bead deposit" thermoplastic. I have found this resource,

It is basically an adhesive deposition system used for packaging in industry.

So I think this is a good place to start, by trying to create a simplified version of this.

I was thinking of an open top tank that would heat the thermoplastic, this would be connected to a geared pump, which in turn would be connected to an automatic solenoid valve.

does anybody have an experience with this sort of system or suggestions? would this work? or would i need a pressurized tank? What would be my first step to build a system like this?

NOTE: i do not need to create the x-y movement axis, or anything else, just the process of melting the material and depositing it

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think melting an entire tank of plastic is excessive. Just heat the nozzle and force the solid plastic through, just like a fdm 3d printer or hot glue gun works. No need for a valve.

@billy_joule Hey, thanks for your reply. That's a good point. Would i be able to achieve the bead deposition with this method? I should have stated as well in my original question, that ideally this machine should be able to deposit around 1500-300 beads per minute, would this be achievable using fdm?

Related to Hot-Melt system design project

1. What is a "Hot-Melt system design project"?

A "Hot-Melt system design project" is a type of engineering project that involves designing and implementing a system for heating and melting materials such as adhesives, wax, or plastic. This system is used in various industries for applications such as packaging, manufacturing, and assembly.

2. What are the key components of a Hot-Melt system?

The key components of a Hot-Melt system include a heating element, a melting chamber, a pumping mechanism, a delivery system, and a control unit. The heating element is responsible for heating the material to a specific temperature, the melting chamber melts and mixes the material, the pumping mechanism moves the material to the delivery system, and the control unit regulates the temperature and flow of the material.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a Hot-Melt system?

When designing a Hot-Melt system, factors such as the type of material being melted, the required temperature and viscosity, the production speed, and the space available for installation should be considered. It is also important to ensure compatibility between the materials and components of the system to avoid any malfunctions or failures.

4. How can the efficiency and effectiveness of a Hot-Melt system be improved?

The efficiency and effectiveness of a Hot-Melt system can be improved by regularly maintaining and servicing the system, using high-quality materials and components, and implementing proper temperature and flow control. Additionally, conducting thorough testing and monitoring of the system can help identify any potential issues and optimize its performance.

5. What are the safety precautions that should be taken when working with a Hot-Melt system?

Safety is a crucial aspect when working with a Hot-Melt system. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines provided by the manufacturer. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and performing routine checks on the system. It is also important to keep all electrical components away from the melting chamber and to handle hot materials with caution to avoid burns or other injuries.