Hot dipped galvanized steel with copper based grease -- corroision question

In summary, copper based grease on the threads of a hot dipped galvanized pipe would likely noticeably speed up corrosion of the galvanized pipe in normal environments such as buried in typical soils, maybe slightly more corrosive locations than urban areas, or typical industrial environments.
Leyden
do you think copper based grease on the threads of a hot dipped galvanized pipe would likely noticeably(naked eye, no measuring equipment) speed up corrosion of the galvanized pipe in normal environments such as buried in typical soils, maybe slightly more corrosive locations than urban areas, or typical industrial environments?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question suggests galvanic actions. Although Cu potential is more + than Zn, the quantity of Cu in the grease is very small compared to the mass of zinc on the pipes. I never heard Cu-Zn reactions being a problem on copper clad boat hulls with zinc sacraficial anodes.

I would look first att some electrical wiring problem that could cause galvanic currents. Those can be devastating.

Likes Leyden
anorlunda said:
I never heard Cu-Zn reactions being a problem on copper clad boat hulls with zinc sacraficial anodes.
Is the Copper electrically connected to the Zinc?
Have you ever had to replace the sacrificial Zn, if so there was galvanic action somewhere. If not, why bother with it?

Likes Leyden
Tom.G said:
Is the Copper electrically connected to the Zinc?
Have you ever had to replace the sacrificial Zn, if so there was galvanic action somewhere. If not, why bother with it?

There are always galvanic currents present with boats in salt water. The sacrificial anode needs replacement at intervals a function of local conditions.

Contacts between dissimilar metals in salt water also create galvanic currents at the interface. However, after a short time the one with the lesser anodic index become plated with the other, and the reaction mostly stops. That would be a problem only if such a big area becomes plated that it sacrifices the entire sacrificial anode.

The idea of a sacrificial anode is that if there is a current to someplace else, that it comes from the sacrificial anode in preference to the other metals (whether or not the dissimilar metals are in contact with each other.)

In this thread, we have a tiny mass of copper in grease, and a much larger mass of zinc on the hot dipped pipe. That's why I said that if there is serious damage, the galvanic current must be going someplace other than the grease.

Likes Leyden and Tom.G
Leyden said:
do you think copper based grease on the threads of a hot dipped galvanized pipe would likely noticeably(naked eye, no measuring equipment) speed up corrosion of the galvanized pipe in normal environments such as buried in typical soils, maybe slightly more corrosive locations than urban areas, or typical industrial environments?
I can tell you that we used copper bearing Fel-Pro anti-seize compound all over my power plant.
I used it on my boat trailer wheels which saw salt water.
on spark plugs in aluminum lawnmower and outboard motor cylinder heads
on automobile exhaust manifold bolts and wheel lug nuts
and have yet to notice anything detrimental

in short, I'm a "True Believer" in copper bearing grease.

That said, i have changed my ways around aluminum and buy "Anti Seize for Aluminum" at my auto parts store. Though i never had any trouble with copper based.

There's a nickel bearing version too that might be better around seawater. We preferred it around the reactor area because copper activates noticeably

Last edited:
Likes Leyden
i use zinc grease for aluminum, galvanized steal as well sometimes. copper grease just seams like it's a lot better for conductivity, i'll get the DLO out one of these days and check for any real difference.

thanks everyone

Related to Hot dipped galvanized steel with copper based grease -- corroision question

1. What is hot dipped galvanized steel?

Hot dipped galvanized steel is a process in which steel is coated with a layer of zinc to protect it from corrosion. This is achieved by dipping the steel into a bath of molten zinc, creating a metallurgical bond between the steel and zinc.

2. What is copper based grease and why is it used with hot dipped galvanized steel?

Copper based grease is a type of lubricant that contains copper particles. It is often used with hot dipped galvanized steel to prevent corrosion by acting as a barrier between the steel and the environment. The copper in the grease can also help to neutralize any corrosive chemicals that may come into contact with the steel.

3. How effective is hot dipped galvanized steel with copper based grease in preventing corrosion?

In most cases, hot dipped galvanized steel with copper based grease is very effective in preventing corrosion. The zinc coating on the steel provides a strong barrier against moisture and other corrosive elements, while the copper based grease adds an additional layer of protection.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the effectiveness of hot dipped galvanized steel with copper based grease?

Yes, there are a few factors that can affect the effectiveness of this method in preventing corrosion. These include the thickness and quality of the zinc coating, the amount and type of copper based grease used, and the environment in which the steel is exposed to.

5. How often should hot dipped galvanized steel with copper based grease be inspected for corrosion?

It is recommended to inspect hot dipped galvanized steel with copper based grease at least once a year for signs of corrosion. However, the frequency of inspections may vary depending on the conditions the steel is exposed to. If any signs of corrosion are found, it is important to address them promptly to prevent further damage.