Horizontal / Vertical Motion, Parabolic Motion

In summary, an individual throws a ball at a 45 degree angle to the ground and it remains in the air for 2.35 seconds. The ball travels a distance of 23.03 meters if it's in the air for 2.35 seconds.
Mello
If this sounds ridiculously vague, I apologize - my physics teacher gave us this problem verbally and didn't want to clarify anything.

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown at a 45 degree angle to the ground and remains in the air for 2.35 seconds by an individual standing 1.81m. How far did the ball travel?

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure what equations would be suitable to use - I am unsure how I can calculate the initial horizontal speed of the ball. I know the horizontal and vertical components would be equal since it is a 45 degree angle but beyond this I am at a bit of a loss.

I used vyf = vyo + gt to calculate that vyf was 23.03, however I am unsure how to factor in the individuals height to the equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the individual throws a ball straight up (vertically) and it's in the air for 2.35 seconds, can you determine what the initial velocity is ?

Final vertical velocity = Initial vertical velocity + (force of gravity * time)
0 m/s = Vyo + (-9.81 m/s * 2.35s)
Vyo = ~23 m/s
Maybe?

Mello said:
Final vertical velocity = Initial vertical velocity + (force of gravity * time)
0 m/s = Vyo + (-9.81 m/s * 2.35s)
Vyo = ~23 m/s
Maybe?

That's if it takes 2.35 seconds to reach it's highest point.

Ahh, so it would be half of that so ~11.5 m/s?

If Vyo is 11.5 in a straight up situation, then I could assume (since the angle is 45 degrees) that Vyo = Vxo and therefore each initial velocity would be ~5.75 m/s?

Mello said:
Ahh, so it would be half of that so ~11.5 m/s?

If Vyo is 11.5 in a straight up situation, then I could assume (since the angle is 45 degrees) that Vyo = Vxo and therefore each initial velocity would be ~5.75 m/s?
No. You can assume that the vertical component, (v0)y is ~11.5 m/s .

Since the launch angle is 45°, the horizontal component of the velocity is also ~11.5 m/s .

Related to Horizontal / Vertical Motion, Parabolic Motion

1. What is horizontal motion?

Horizontal motion is the movement of an object along a horizontal plane, or in other words, in a straight line parallel to the ground.

2. What is vertical motion?

Vertical motion is the movement of an object along a vertical plane, or in other words, in a straight line perpendicular to the ground.

3. What is parabolic motion?

Parabolic motion is the combined movement of an object in both the horizontal and vertical directions, resulting in a curved path known as a parabola.

4. What factors affect horizontal and vertical motion?

Horizontal and vertical motion can be affected by factors such as the force of gravity, air resistance, and initial velocity.

5. How is parabolic motion used in real life?

Parabolic motion is used in many real life applications, such as in sports like baseball and basketball, and in the trajectory of projectiles like missiles and rockets.