Horizontal Projectiles. Degree or Radian mode in calculator?

In summary, the conversation is about a worksheet with questions about a pelican flying and dropping a fish, and the use of a calculator in either degree or radian mode depending on the given angles or required results.
Rasofia

Homework Statement

It's a worksheet with questions like : A pelican flying along a horizontal path drops a fish from a height of 5.4 m. The fish travels 8.0 m horizontally before it hits the water below. What is the pelican's initial speed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So should I have my calculator in radian or degree mode?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use whichever mode the problem requires: If given angles are in degrees or if a result is required in degrees, set the calculator to Degrees. Set it to radians if you need to work with radians. Also, you can always convert from one to the other via suitable constants.

Related to Horizontal Projectiles. Degree or Radian mode in calculator?

1. What is the difference between degree and radian mode in a calculator?

The degree mode on a calculator measures angles in degrees, with one full rotation being 360 degrees. The radian mode, on the other hand, measures angles in radians, with one full rotation being 2π radians. This means that 180 degrees is equivalent to π radians.

2. How do I switch between degree and radian mode on a calculator?

Most scientific calculators have a button labeled "DRG" or "MODE" which allows you to toggle between degree and radian mode. Some calculators also have a separate button for switching to radian mode, labeled "RAD". Refer to your calculator's instruction manual for specific instructions.

3. When should I use degree mode and when should I use radian mode?

In general, degree mode is used when dealing with angles in everyday situations, such as measuring the angle of a triangle or a clock. Radian mode is typically used in more advanced mathematical and scientific calculations, such as in physics and engineering. It is also commonly used in calculus.

4. Can I use both degree and radian mode in the same calculation?

Yes, most calculators allow you to switch between degree and radian mode within a single calculation. For example, if you are solving a trigonometric equation that involves both degrees and radians, you can enter the values in the appropriate mode and the calculator will give you the correct answer.

5. Is one mode more accurate than the other?

Both degree and radian mode are equally accurate, as they simply represent different ways of measuring angles. However, some calculations may be easier to perform in one mode over the other, so it is important to choose the mode that is most appropriate for your specific calculation.