Horizontal motion with quadratic resistance

In summary, a block with mass m is traveling on an oiled surface with a viscous resistance given by F(v)= -cv^{3/2}. The initial speed of the block is v_{o} at x=0. It has been shown that the block cannot travel farther than 2mv_{o}^{1/2} /c. Integration from the initial position and speed to the final position and speed will result in the desired result.
Speags
so i got a block with mass=m traveling on an oiled surface. the block suffers a viscous resistance given:
[tex] F(v)= -cv^{3/2} [/tex]
the initial speed of the block is [tex] v_{o} [/tex] at x=0, i have to show that the block cannot travel farther than [tex] 2mv_{o}^{1/2} /c [/tex]
so far i have;
[tex] ma=-cv^{3/2} [/tex]
[tex] m \frac{dv}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt} = -cv^{3/2} [/tex]
[tex] mvdv=-cv^{3/2} dx [/tex]
[tex] dx= \frac {mvdv}{cv^{3/2}} [/tex]

where should i go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Speags said:
so i got a block with mass=m traveling on an oiled surface. the block suffers a viscous resistance given:
[tex] F(v)= -cv^{3/2} [/tex]
the initial speed of the block is [tex] v_{o} [/tex] at x=0, i have to show that the block cannot travel farther than [tex] 2mv_{o}^{1/2} /c [/tex]
so far i have;

[tex] dx= \frac {mvdv}{cv^{3/2}} [/tex]

where should i go from here?

Put back the "-" sign you have lost,

simplify

[tex] dx= \frac {-mdv}{cv^{1/2}} [/tex]

Integrate from x=0 to x(final) and from v=v0 to v=0 and you get the desired result.

ehild

First, we can rewrite the equation to get rid of the variables dx and dt:

dx = \frac {mvdv}{cv^{3/2}}
dx = \frac {mv}{cv^{3/2}}dv

Next, we can integrate both sides of the equation from x=0 to x=d (where d is the distance traveled by the block):

\int_{0}^{d} dx = \int_{0}^{d} \frac {mv}{cv^{3/2}} dv

Using the power rule for integration, we get:

d = \frac {2mv^{1/2}}{c}

Now, we know that the maximum distance traveled by the block is when the final velocity (v) is equal to zero. So we can substitute v=0 into the equation:

d = \frac {2mv^{1/2}}{c}
d = \frac {2m(0)^{1/2}}{c}
d = 0

This means that the maximum distance traveled by the block is zero, which makes sense since the block cannot travel any further once it comes to a complete stop.

To prove that the block cannot travel farther than 2mv_{o}^{1/2} /c, we can substitute v_{o} for v in the equation:

d = \frac {2mv_{o}^{1/2}}{c}

This gives us the maximum distance traveled by the block, which is 2mv_{o}^{1/2} /c. Therefore, the block cannot travel any farther than this distance due to the quadratic resistance acting against it.

Related to Horizontal motion with quadratic resistance

What is horizontal motion with quadratic resistance?

Horizontal motion with quadratic resistance refers to the movement of an object in a horizontal direction while experiencing air resistance, which is proportional to the square of its velocity.

How does quadratic resistance affect horizontal motion?

Quadratic resistance causes a decrease in the horizontal velocity of an object over time. As the object moves faster, the air resistance increases, slowing down its horizontal motion.

What is the formula for calculating horizontal motion with quadratic resistance?

The formula for calculating horizontal motion with quadratic resistance is: F = -bv^2, where F is the force of air resistance, b is a constant that depends on the object's shape and size, and v is the object's velocity.

Can horizontal motion with quadratic resistance be ignored?

No, horizontal motion with quadratic resistance cannot be ignored because it can significantly affect the trajectory and velocity of an object.

What factors affect horizontal motion with quadratic resistance?

The factors that affect horizontal motion with quadratic resistance include the object's shape and size, the density of the air, and the speed of the object.