Horizontal escape of a projectile

In summary, the conversation involves finding the function r(theta) and its coordinates where it crosses the y-axis. The problem is attached and the equations used include L=mr^2(dr/dt), V_escape=(GM/R)^.5, and E=L^2/(2mR^2)-(GMm)/R=0. After some work, the conversation moves towards integration and finding the coordinates using a symbolic form. The final result is given as θ = 2 tan^{-1} \left( \sqrt{\frac{r}{r_o} - 1}\right) which can be solved for r using the trig identity for tan(θ/2).
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

The problem is attached

Homework Equations

L=mr^2(dr/dt)
V_escape=(GM/R)^.5
E=L^2/(2mR^2)-(GMm)/R=0

The Attempt at a Solution

after some work i got:
dr/dtheta=((r^3/R)-r^2)^1/2
dont know what to do from here.
Thanks.

Attachments

• escape problem.jpg
    escape problem.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not completely clear on what it is you're trying to find. Is it the minimum velocity for escape for a horizontal launch?

I'm trying to find r(theta)

kraigandrews said:
I'm trying to find r(theta)

I see. Well, you're at the point where you'll have to integrate. The equation is separable into r and θ portions.

then second part of my question i have to do is find the coordinates where r(theta) crosses the y-axis however, where i run into the problem is the integral i found doesnot cross the y-axis

kraigandrews said:
then second part of my question i have to do is find the coordinates where r(theta) crosses the y-axis however, where i run into the problem is the integral i found doesnot cross the y-axis

Hmm. What did your integration and its result look like?

well seperating them it is dr/((r^3/R)-r^2)^1/2)=dtheta
i used wolframalpha and got:
what is attached and I used R= to 6.4E6m (radius of the earth)

Attachments

• wolfram.gif
    wolfram.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 442
If you keep things in symbolic form a little longer, some good things might happen :smile:

Attached is a snapshot of a Wolfram Integrator output where for the function I've pulled an r2 out of the radical before letting the integrator loose.

Thus you have:
[tex] \theta = 2 tan^{-1} \left( \sqrt{\frac{r}{r_o} - 1}\right) [/tex]
which can be readily solved for r. Keep in mind the trig identity for tan(θ/2) :wink:

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 445

Related to Horizontal escape of a projectile

What is horizontal escape of a projectile?

Horizontal escape of a projectile, also known as horizontal range, is the maximum distance a projectile travels horizontally before returning to the ground.

What factors affect the horizontal escape of a projectile?

The horizontal escape of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational pull of the Earth.

How can the horizontal escape of a projectile be calculated?

The horizontal escape of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: R = (v^2 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the horizontal range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

What is the optimal angle of launch for maximum horizontal escape?

The optimal angle of launch for maximum horizontal escape is 45 degrees, as it allows for the greatest distance to be covered while minimizing the effects of air resistance.

What is the difference between horizontal escape and vertical escape of a projectile?

The horizontal escape of a projectile refers to the distance traveled horizontally, while the vertical escape refers to the maximum height reached by the projectile. These two values are independent of each other and can be calculated separately.