Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)

In summary, there is a phenomenon observed on a boardwalk structure where circular dots of sunlight appear on the ground, accompanied by slits of light from the boards and sea wall. These dots are scattered in strange patterns and form interference patterns if in the correct location. The source of the dots cannot be easily identified, as they often curve in impossible directions and lead to the sun. The presence of reflective surfaces may also contribute to this phenomenon.
Braeden Nason
I'm not quite sure how to describe this phenomena but in my town we have a large boardwalk structure and it is closed off almost entirely underneath by a sea wall. this leaves slits on top with the boards and slits near the top of the sea wall where a concrete beam will pass through. at certain times of the day i have observed circular dots of sunlight on the ground underneath it accompanied by the expected slits of light from the boards but there are no circular openings anywhere on the structure. they are scattered in strange patterns often forming clear interference patterns if in the correct location. on multiple occasions i have placed my hand underneath them and lifted to find the source. but to my dismay the light often curves in impossible directions while maintaining its dot like shape. if i manage to isolate the dot at eye level i can often look and find the source and find myself staring directly into the sun nowhere near where it was located. if anyone has any idea what this is i can go out and get pictures as it occurs around this time of the day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, pictures would be very helpful... :smile:

Are there any reflective surfaces nearby?

they are not present at the moment i believe in an hour or two they will be and i have not spotted anything reflective as its construction is mostly concrete and wood

Likes Hoophy
Note that each point in an opening or reflection will produce an image of the sun, proportional in size to the distance from the opening or object, so at sufficient distance from a small opening or reflective object this will produce a circular spot of light regardless of the shape of the opening or object.

Likes dlgoff and Hoophy

1. What is "Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)"?

"Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)" is a phenomenon observed in astrophysics where light from a distant source appears distorted or scattered due to the presence of multiple sources of emission or absorption along the line of sight.

2. How is "Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)" different from other types of light distortion?

"Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)" is different from other types of light distortion, such as gravitational lensing or atmospheric interference, because it is caused by the overlapping of multiple sources of light rather than a single source.

3. What can cause "Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)"?

"Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)" can be caused by a variety of factors including the presence of multiple stars, galaxies, or other objects along the line of sight, as well as the effects of dust or gas in the interstellar medium.

4. How do scientists study "Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)"?

Scientists use a variety of techniques such as spectroscopy, imaging, and computer simulations to study "Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)". These methods allow them to map out the distribution of light and identify the individual sources contributing to the phenomenon.

5. What is the significance of studying "Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)"?

Studying "Hopelessly Confused (Strange Light Distribution)" can provide valuable insights into the structure and composition of the universe, as well as the processes that govern the formation and evolution of galaxies and other celestial objects. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, cosmology, and astrophysics.