Hooke's Law: inconsistent spring constants what

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 70 kg bungee jumper who leaps off a bridge tied to a 12 m long bungee cord and falls a total of 31 m. The goal is to calculate the spring constant of the bungee and the maximum acceleration experienced by the jumper. Two methods are presented for finding the spring constant, with the second method being deemed correct. Using this value of k, the maximum acceleration is calculated to be 22.2 m/s^2.
tambourine

Homework Statement

A 70 kg bungee jumper leaps off a bridge. She is tied to a 12 m long bungee cord and falls a total of 31 m. Calculate:

a) the spring constant of the bungee
b) the maximum acceleration experience by the jumper

Homework Equations

F = kx

Eg = Ee
where g is gravitational potential energy and e is elastic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

at her maximum stretch, force of the "spring"/bungee Fs = Fg = mg

x= 31 - 12 = 19

k= F/x = mg/x
k = 70 (9.81) / 19
k= 36.14

but this number didn't seem right so i did:

let height be zero at maximum stretch

Eg = Ee
mgh = 1/2kx^2
70(9.81)(31) = 1/2k(19)^2
k = 117.9

both methods make perfect sense to me, but the spring constants are different so i must have missed something. what did i do wrong/which method is correct? and how can i find her maximum acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the force of the bungee at maximum stretch were equal to her weight, what would make her bounce back up? Wouldn't she just hang there?

The second method is the correct one; use that value of k for the rest of the problem.

ohhh

so then for part b it would be:

F = ma = kx - mg
70a = 117.9 (19) - 70(9.81)
a = 22.2

Related to Hooke's Law: inconsistent spring constants what

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement of the spring.

How does Hooke's Law work?

According to Hooke's Law, the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that the more force applied, the greater the displacement of the spring will be.

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, represented by the letter "k", is a measure of a spring's stiffness or resistance to being stretched or compressed. It is a constant value that is unique to each spring and is used in Hooke's Law to calculate the force applied to a spring.

Why might spring constants be inconsistent?

Spring constants can vary due to factors such as the material of the spring, the length and diameter of the spring, and the way the spring is manufactured. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and wear and tear can also affect the consistency of a spring's constant.

How can inconsistent spring constants be accounted for in Hooke's Law?

If the spring constants of two or more springs are inconsistent, the average of the spring constants can be used in the Hooke's Law equation to calculate the force applied to the springs. Alternatively, a more accurate calculation can be achieved by using a different formula, known as the spring stiffness formula, which takes into account the individual spring constants and the arrangement of the springs.