Honors physics intermediate force question

In summary: Also, your equation should be Vf^2=Vi^2+2aX. Plugging in the correct values should give you a positive value for X.In summary, to solve this problem, we need to use the equations F=ma and Vf^2=Vi^2+2aX. By finding the acceleration of the object, we can then use kinematics equations to find the time it takes for the object to come to a complete stop and the distance it travels as it slows down. It is important to remember that acceleration acts opposite to the velocity, so the sign of the acceleration should be taken into account.
Kalix

Homework Statement

Question: An object traveling at a constant speed of 22m/s begins to experience a force of 15N in the opposite direction of its motion. (Hint given: Start by finding objects acceleration)

a. How long will it take for the 8kg object to come to a complete stop once it experiences the force?
b. If the object was traveling in a straight line, how far did the object travel as it slowed down?

Homework Equations

I am not exactly sure what the relevant equations are for this problem but here are the equations we have used so far in this unit.

F=ma
W=mg
Fs=μsxFn (Static friction=mu times normal force)
Fk=μkxFn (Kinetic friction=mu times normal force)

I am guessing that I have to use one of those equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my small attempt.
F=ma
15N=(8g)(a)
a=1.875m/s^2

This is where I get stuck. First off I don't even know if the value I got for acceleration is correct and secondly where do I go from here. Do I go back to my kinematics equations to find time in part "a" and X in part "b"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kalix said:
This is where I get stuck. First off I don't even know if the value I got for acceleration is correct and secondly where do I go from here. Do I go back to my kinematics equations to find time in part "a" and X in part "b"?
Your acceleration is correct. And yes, time to dust off the kinematics equations to answer the questions.

Would it be easier to find time (t) first or X first? And I know that the final velocity will be 0m/s but what is the initial velocity. I don't think it's 22m/s but I guess it could be...

Kalix said:
I don't think it's 22m/s but I guess it could be...
Sure it is. That's given.

I ended up getting a negative value for X...is that possible?

Kalix said:
I ended up getting a negative value for X...is that possible?
No. Show what you did.

Did you find the time first?

No I found X first. This is what I did.
Vfx^2=Vix^2+2aX
0=(22^2)=2(1.875)(X)
-484=3.75(x)
x=-129.07

X=Vxt
-129.07=22(t)
t=-5.87sec

What did I do wrong?

Kalix said:
No I found X first. This is what I did.
Vfx^2=Vix^2+2aX
0=(22^2)=2(1.875)(X)
-484=3.75(x)
x=-129.07
You have the wrong sign for the acceleration. Remember it acts opposite to the velocity, so if the velocity is positive the acceleration must be negative.

Related to Honors physics intermediate force question

1. What is the difference between honors physics and regular physics?

Honors physics is a more rigorous and advanced course that covers topics in greater depth and complexity compared to regular physics. It is typically taken by students who have a strong interest and aptitude in physics.

2. What is meant by "intermediate force" in the context of honors physics?

"Intermediate force" refers to the concept of forces acting on objects that are not in a state of rest or constant velocity. These forces can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

3. How does honors physics approach the topic of force compared to regular physics?

Honors physics delves deeper into the fundamental principles and laws governing forces, such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of vectors. It also explores more complex and advanced topics, such as circular motion and gravitational forces.

4. What are some real-life examples of intermediate force?

Some examples of intermediate force in everyday life include a car accelerating or braking, a person pushing or pulling a heavy object, or a ball being thrown or kicked.

5. How can I prepare for an honors physics intermediate force question on a test?

To prepare for an honors physics intermediate force question, make sure to thoroughly understand the fundamental concepts and equations related to forces. Practice solving various problems and use diagrams or visual aids to help you understand the concepts better. It may also be helpful to review any notes or previous assignments related to intermediate force.