Honors-level textbook on general chemistry

In summary, a user asked for a recommendation on an introductory textbook for general chemistry that makes use of calculus and is suitable for honors level courses. Another user provided a link to Google search results for "Honors General Chemistry" and listed several potential books, but noted that they are not familiar with them. A third user suggested looking at the syllabi for honors courses at respected universities and potentially using the textbook "Chemical Principles: The Quest for Insight" by Atkins and Jones. Lastly, another user recommended using a physical chemistry book such as McQuarrie, with a full solutions manual available.
Forrest T
Would someone please recommend an introductory textbook on general chemistry? I would like a well-motivated text that makes use of calculus, preferably one written for honors level general chemistry courses (such as the one at the University of Chicago). Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt I will be of much help, but I googled "Honors General Chemistry":
http://www.google.co.za/#hl=en&q=ho...0l0l0ll0&fp=dd0f596fbb3eaf88&biw=1440&bih=717

Here are some books I came across:
"Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change" Silberberg
Peter Siska "University Chemistry"
"Chemical Principles: The Quest for Insight" by Peter Atkins and Loretta Jones
"Chemistry, The Central Science" Brown, LeMay, Bursten and Murphy

But please note, I am not familiar with any of these books.

Yup, since there seems to be a shortage of active chemists here, your best bet is to go to the websites of chem depts of universities you respect, look at the syllabi for their honors classes, and see what they use. The last time I looked (quite a while ago), MIT was using the Atkins text cited above.

I looked for syllabi online before starting this thread, but I didn't find what I was looking for (with the exception of MIT). I think I'll try the book by Atkins. Thanks for your help!

Most honors level chemistry books are basically halfway steps between a regular gen chem book and their upper division counter parts. You could just grab a physical chemistry book and just go through that. They're not particularly difficult, I would recommend McQuarrie because there's a full solutions manual available.

Related to Honors-level textbook on general chemistry

1. What topics does the honors-level textbook on general chemistry cover?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics including atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, thermodynamics, kinetics, and equilibrium.

2. Is the textbook suitable for beginners or is it more advanced?

The textbook is designed for students with a strong foundation in chemistry and math. It is best suited for students who have completed a high school chemistry course and have a good understanding of algebra and basic calculus.

3. Are there practice problems or exercises included in the textbook?

Yes, the textbook includes numerous practice problems and exercises at the end of each chapter to help students reinforce their understanding of the concepts presented.

4. Does the textbook include real-world applications of chemistry?

Yes, the textbook includes real-world examples and applications of chemistry to help students see the relevance and practicality of the concepts they are learning.

5. Is the textbook a standalone resource or does it require additional materials?

The textbook is a comprehensive resource on its own, but it is recommended that students also have access to a laboratory manual and additional practice materials to fully grasp the concepts and skills covered in the textbook.