What is the Orbital Period of Positronium in a Circular Orbit?

In summary, The conversation discusses positrons, electrons, and the formation of positronium. It also introduces the concept of circular orbits and their relation to the orbital period. Using the equations for charge and force, the conversation attempts to derive a formula for the orbital period in terms of separation distance, as well as applying it to the case of an electron and proton orbiting around their center of mass.
PinkFlamingo
Hi there! I hope someone can help me with this problem. I've been working on this for over 5 hours and I've gotten nowhere!

A positron is a particle with the same mass as an electron but with a positive charge. A positron and an electron can briefly form an unusual atom known as positronium. Imagine a situation where the two particles are in a circular orbit about their center of mass. Since the particles have equal mass, the center of mass is midway between them. Let r be the separation of the particles (so that the orbits are each of radius r/2).

(a) Show that the orbital period T is related to the separation distance r by:

T^2 = (16)(pi^3)(E0)(me)(mp) (r^3)
---------------------
(e^2)[(me) + (mp)]

This is a consequence of Kepler's third law for electrical orbits.

(b) Show that if an electron and a proton are in circular orbits about their center of mass (which is not at the midway point between them but much closer to the proton), then the same expression results.

OK, so so far, I'm guessing that I somehow use the formulae:

q = ne

F = 1 |Q||q|
-------- x ---------
4(pi)(E0) (r^2)

But I'm not really sure where the rest of it comes from

If someone could help me out, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Mandy

Physics news on Phys.org
The bad idea of Keplerian orbits being used aside, if the orbit is indeed a circle, then the force each particle feels must obey the centripetal force equation, F=mv2/r. In this case the centripetal force is the electrostatic force, so they two equations can be set equal to each other.

1. What is positronium?

Positronium is a bound state of a positron (the antimatter counterpart of an electron) and an electron. It is the lightest known atom and has a short lifetime of only about 142 nanoseconds.

2. How is positronium formed?

Positronium is formed when a positron and an electron come together and are bound by their opposite charges. This can occur naturally in some radioactive decays, or can be created artificially in laboratory experiments.

3. What is the electric orbit of positronium?

The electric orbit of positronium refers to the path that the two particles (positron and electron) take around each other due to their opposite charges. This orbit is similar to the orbit of an electron around a nucleus in a regular atom.

4. How does the electric orbit of positronium differ from the orbit of an electron in a regular atom?

The electric orbit of positronium differs from the orbit of an electron in a regular atom in several ways. For example, positronium is a much lighter atom, so the particles move faster and the orbit is larger. Additionally, the two particles in positronium have the same mass, unlike in a regular atom where the nucleus is much heavier than the electron. This results in different energy levels and spectral lines in positronium compared to regular atoms.

5. What is the significance of studying the electric orbit of positronium?

Studying the electric orbit of positronium can provide insight into the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. It can also help to better understand antimatter and its behavior. Positronium is also used in various applications such as in medical imaging and as a tool for testing theories in physics.