Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] homotophy

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Let $\gamma$ be a closed curve in U with initial point $z_0$, and let $\gamma^-$ denote its reverse curve.
Prove that $\gamma\gamma^-$ is null homotopic in U.

So I need to show that $\int_{\gamma\gamma^-}f(z)dz = 0$. How can I show this though? Not all closed curves are necessarily zero.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Let $\gamma$ be a closed curve in U with initial point $z_0$, and let $\gamma^-$ denote its reverse curve.
Prove that $\gamma\gamma^-$ is null homotopic in U.

So I need to show that $\int_{\gamma\gamma^-}f(z)dz = 0$. How can I show this though? Not all closed curves are necessarily zero.
Rather than using the property $\int_{\gamma\gamma^-}f(z)dz = 0$, I think it would be easier to construct an explicit homotopy from $\gamma\gamma^-$ to the constant path at $z_0.$

Given $\gamma:[0,1]\to U$, with $\gamma^-(t) = \gamma(1-t)$, define $H_s$ for $s\in[0,1]$ by $$H_s(t) = \begin{cases}\gamma^-(2st)&(t\leqslant1/2),\\ \gamma(2st)&(t\geqslant1/2).\end{cases}$$ Then $H_1=\gamma\gamma^-$ and $H_0$ is the constant path at $z_0.$

Of course, you need to check that, for each $s$, $H_s$ is a path in $U$, and that the map $s\mapsto H_s$ is indeed a homotopy.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Rather than using the property $\int_{\gamma\gamma^-}f(z)dz = 0$, I think it would be easier to construct an explicit homotopy from $\gamma\gamma^-$ to the constant path at $z_0.$

Given $\gamma:[0,1]\to U$, with $\gamma^-(t) = \gamma(1-t)$, define $H_s$ for $s\in[0,1]$ by $$H_s(t) = \begin{cases}\gamma^-(2st)&(t\leqslant1/2),\\ \gamma(2st)&(t\geqslant1/2).\end{cases}$$ Then $H_1=\gamma\gamma^-$ and $H_0$ is the constant path at $z_0.$

Of course, you need to check that, for each $s$, $H_s$ is a path in $U$, and that the map $s\mapsto H_s$ is indeed a homotopy.
How did you come up with this piece wise defined map?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
How did you come up with this piece wise defined map?
Would this map work as well?

$$
F(s,t)=\begin{cases}\gamma(2s,t), & 0\leq s\leq 1/2\\
\gamma^-(2s-1,t), & 1/2\leq s\leq 1
\end{cases}
$$

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Let $[\gamma]$ be the homotopy class in $\pi_1(U,z_0)$.
Let
$$
\gamma\gamma^- = \begin{cases}
\gamma(2t), & 0\leq t\leq\frac{1}{2}\\
\gamma(2 - 2t), & \frac{1}{2}\leq t\leq 1
\end{cases}.
$$
Then the path $\gamma\gamma^-$ follows $\gamma$ and then $\gamma^-$ back to $z_0$.
Define the homotopy
$$
K(t,s) = \begin{cases}
\gamma(2ts), & 0\leq t\leq\frac{1}{2}\\
\gamma(2s - 2ts), & \frac{1}{2}\leq t\leq 1.
\end{cases}
$$
Then $K(0,2) = K(1,s) = z_0$, $K(t,0) = c$ (the constant path), and
$$
K(t,1) = \begin{cases}
\gamma(2ts), & 0\leq t\leq\frac{1}{2}\\
\gamma(2 - 2t), & \frac{1}{2}\leq t\leq 1
\end{cases}
= \gamma\gamma^-.
$$
We can observe that $K$ is continuous.
Now $[\gamma][\gamma^-] = [\gamma\gamma^-] = [c]$.
Thus the product of the classes of $\gamma$ and $\gamma^-$ is the constant path, i.e. null homotopic.

How is this?

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Looks good. :)