Homomorphism from GL(2,N) to Z_N?

• Thread starter condmatscott
  • Start date
This subgroup is not normal in GL(2,N).In summary, the group GL(2,N) acts on a vector space of indefinite inner product and has a natural SL(N) subgroup with a center of ##\mathbb{Z}_N##. However, this subgroup is not normal in GL(2,N).
condmatscott
I start with the group GL(2,N), where N is prime. I want to break these elements into N classes. One way to do this would be to find a homomorphism to Z_N, does such a homomorphism exist for general N? What is it? Is there another way to break the group into classes without using a homomorphism?

Physics news on Phys.org
condmatscott said:
I start with the group GL(2,N), where N is prime. I want to break these elements into N classes. One way to do this would be to find a homomorphism to Z_N, does such a homomorphism exist for general N? What is it? Is there another way to break the group into classes without using a homomorphism?

If the notation GL(2,N) means that this group acts on a vector space of indefinite inner product, then there is a natural SL(N) subgroup. The center of this subgroup is ##\mathbb{Z}_N##.

Related to Homomorphism from GL(2,N) to Z_N?

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure and operations of a group. In other words, if we apply the function to two elements of the group, the result will still be an element of the group.

2. What is GL(2,N)?

GL(2,N) is the set of all invertible 2x2 matrices with entries in the set of natural numbers (positive integers).

3. What is Z_N?

Z_N is the set of integers modulo N, where N is a positive natural number. This means that the elements of Z_N are the remainders when dividing integers by N.

4. How does a homomorphism from GL(2,N) to Z_N work?

A homomorphism from GL(2,N) to Z_N is a function that maps each invertible 2x2 matrix to an element in Z_N. This mapping preserves the group structure, meaning that the operation of matrix multiplication in GL(2,N) is preserved in the resulting elements of Z_N.

5. What are some applications of homomorphisms from GL(2,N) to Z_N?

Homomorphisms from GL(2,N) to Z_N are used in various fields of mathematics, including group theory, number theory, and cryptography. They also have applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of symmetries and transformations.