Tension and Friction problem, i

In summary, the conversation revolves around someone seeking help with a physics problem and providing a link to a scanned image of their work. Others provide guidance and point out potential errors in the equations, specifically in solving for μ and T2.
zm87
I need help with this problem using simple physics. Thanks :).

You have to copy the url and paste it in your browser or it won't work. Thanks.

Here: http://zm87.tripod.com/physics.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how far did you get? Show us your work and you'll get some help.

Ok i have work but i my computer isn't recognizing my scanner anymore hold on

here: http://zm87.tripod.com/physics3.jpg copy and paste into browser

i don't even know if i did it right

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't check through all your algebra, but you did set it up right: all of the equations for the net forces are correct, so it's just a matter of algebraically solving them.

I agree with Ambitwistor: you set up the force equations for each body correctly. The equation for the first body is solved correctly (T1= 78N). But I don't see how you went on to solve for μ and T2. I suspect an error there.

1. What is the difference between tension and friction?

Tension is a pulling force that occurs when an object is being stretched or pulled in opposite directions. Friction, on the other hand, is a resistance force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact and sliding against each other.

2. How do tension and friction affect an object?

Tension and friction can both cause changes in an object's motion. Tension can either accelerate or decelerate an object, depending on the direction of the force. Friction can also slow down an object's motion by creating resistance against its movement.

3. How can I calculate tension and friction in a problem?

To calculate tension, you can use the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. To calculate friction, you can use the formula F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

4. Can tension and friction cancel each other out?

Yes, tension and friction can cancel each other out in certain situations. For example, if an object is being pulled with a force equal to its weight, and there is an equal friction force opposing its motion, the object will remain at a constant velocity.

5. How can I reduce tension and friction in a problem?

To reduce tension, you can try to minimize the forces pulling in opposite directions. For example, in a pulley system, using a lighter weight can reduce the tension in the rope. To reduce friction, you can try using lubricants or smoother surfaces to decrease the resistance between two objects.