Homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures and how they are represented in a diagram. The speaker questions why their answer of heterogeneous mixture was marked wrong when there are unequal amounts of substances present. The other person explains that the key factor is the overall uniformity and repeating pattern in the mixture. However, the first person argues that the diagram does not accurately depict a homogeneous mixture due to the presence of distinct phases. They suggest that the diagram should have more particles in order to accurately represent a homogeneous mixture.
gracy
http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869B/CHEM869BInfoFiles/pubCHEM869B-Info005.html
In the last question of Quiz 1X Look at lower Ieft hand side. I chose heterogenous mixture but It was given wrong.Why?I chose heterogenous mixture because there are 4 molecules of one substance and only 3 atoms of other ,so there is no uniform composition that's why I selected heterogenous mixture.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I m not convinced I see the same problem you do. In general, when there are only few "atoms" it is hard to tell what it is intended to mean. Do they clump together?

The idea is that in A and B, there is no overall uniformity/repeating pattern that applies consistently everywhere in the flask, whereas in C there is - therefore the mixture in C is homogeneous.

Your mileage may vary regarding the question set-up. I understand what C is trying to convey but I would say it certainly doesn't look homogeneous to me; it looks like blobs of individually-homogeneous phases, aligned in a repeating pattern. If you can do any kind of reasonable inspection of the material, you'd definitely detect the sample to have properties that oscillate from phase to phase, and the blobs certainly don't look atom-sized (and if they were, with 2 pairs in a row, I wouldn't call it homogeneous). The up-shot is that the picture should really have a lot more particles IMO.

Related to Homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures

What is the difference between a homogeneous and heterogeneous mixture?

A homogeneous mixture is a uniform mixture where the components are evenly distributed throughout, while a heterogeneous mixture contains visibly different substances that are not evenly distributed.

What are examples of homogeneous mixtures?

Examples of homogeneous mixtures include saltwater, air, and sugar dissolved in water.

What are examples of heterogeneous mixtures?

Examples of heterogeneous mixtures include oil and water, sand and water, and a fruit salad.

How can you tell if a mixture is homogeneous or heterogeneous?

A mixture is homogeneous if it appears uniform and consistent throughout, while a heterogeneous mixture will have visible differences in texture or appearance.

What is the process of separating a heterogeneous mixture called?

The process of separating a heterogeneous mixture is called filtration. This involves passing the mixture through a filter to separate the different components based on their size and physical properties.