Homework: vertical motion in gravity

In summary, To find out after how many seconds the ball will reach 102.9m when thrown into the air with a speed of 49m/s, use the formula height=initial speed*time-[(Gravitational acceleration* time^2)/2] and plug in the values given. The equation for this problem is x_f - x_i = v_0 t + \frac{at^2}{2}, where x_f is the final height, x_i is the initial height, v_0 is the initial speed, and a is the gravitational acceleration. Use the quadratic formula to solve for t, which represents time. Remember to use the negative value for acceleration since it is -g.
JUka
i have this assignment. a ball is throun into the air withe the speed equal to 49m/s and i need to find out after how many seconds it will reach 102,9 m. i used the formula we were given in class height=initial speed*time-[(Gravitational acceleration* time^2)/2]

P.S. could you use these terms because i learn physics in romanian not in english

Physics news on Phys.org
i believe the equation is +at^2 and not -at^2...? alrite bascially u already have the ans so what seems to be the problem?the gravitational acceleration os 9.81...u just hav to sub in everything given to get the ans?

semc said:
i believe the equation is +at^2 and not -at^2...? alrite bascially u already have the ans so what seems to be the problem?the gravitational acceleration os 9.81...u just hav to sub in everything given to get the ans?

The part of the equation involving acceleration is 1/2*a*t^2 in general, but since a = -g, it is -1/2*g*t^2, so the equation is correct.

The formula is
[tex]
x_f - x_i = v_0 t + \frac{at^2}{2}
[/tex]
It comes from integrating acceleration as a function of time twice. If you know integration, then you don't need to memorize this formula, because it is so easily derived.

You have all of the information; you have the formula as well. You are correct.
[tex]
102.9 - 0 = 49t - \frac{1}{2}(9.8)t^2
[/tex]

Just remember that you need to use the quadratic formula to get the solutions from the quadratic equation that results from substituting in the numbers.

Related to Homework: vertical motion in gravity

1. What is vertical motion in gravity?

Vertical motion in gravity refers to the movement of an object in a straight line up or down, under the influence of Earth's gravitational force. This motion follows the laws of gravity, which state that all objects will fall towards the Earth with the same acceleration, regardless of their mass.

2. How does gravity affect vertical motion?

Gravity plays a crucial role in vertical motion, as it is the force that pulls objects towards the Earth. Without gravity, vertical motion would not be possible. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s², which means that any object in freefall will accelerate towards the Earth at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

3. What is the formula for calculating vertical motion in gravity?

The formula for calculating vertical motion in gravity is d = v₀t + ½gt², where d is the distance traveled, v₀ is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is known as the equation of motion for vertical motion in gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect vertical motion in gravity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can impact the vertical motion of an object in gravity. As an object falls through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force can slow down the object's acceleration and affect its overall motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of vertical motion in gravity?

Some real-life examples of vertical motion in gravity include objects falling from a height, a ball being thrown into the air, and a rocket launching into space. Other examples include a person jumping off a diving board, a roller coaster going down a steep drop, and a bird flying up into the sky.