Homework sets for Intro Optics/Waves (e.g. MIT 8.03)

In summary: French" and "Bekefi and Barrett," which can be found online for a cheap price. He also suggests using the free notes on waves and oscillations by Professor Fitzpatrick at UT Austin. Another good resource is the book by Georgi, which can be found online for free. Buying textbooks may not be necessary for this topic. In summary, there are many resources available for self-study in waves and optics, including additional textbooks and free online notes and books.
Nikto
Can anyone recommend published homework sets even without solutions for an intro to waves/optics course, the 3rd of a typical 3-course intro physics sequence? I had been following MIT's intro sequence (8.01, 8,02, 8.03) while taking a course that follows Halliday/Resnick, which I do not find challenging enough. Unfortunately, with my waves/optics course now, I have been following MIT's 8.03 whose opencourseware page does include a syllabus and lecture notes, but no homework or exams.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikto said:
Can anyone recommend published homework sets even without solutions for an intro to waves/optics course, the 3rd of a typical 3-course intro physics sequence? I had been following MIT's intro sequence (8.01, 8,02, 8.03) while taking a course that follows Halliday/Resnick, which I do not find challenging enough. Unfortunately, with my waves/optics course now, I have been following MIT's 8.03 whose opencourseware page does include a syllabus and lecture notes, but no homework or exams.

Thanks

Not really sure why you would want additional guided hw?

Work additional problems from your texts, it's that easy.

Likes Dr. Courtney
I just looked at the 18.03 ocw page - they use the books by French and Bekefi and Barrett. Do you have those books? I'm not really familiar with French - it is pretty cheap to buy online and appears to have a bunch of problems for you to work. When I took 3rd semester physics (not at MIT) we mostly used Bekefi and Barrett and for homework we did about half of the problems in the book if I recall correctly; I remember solving a number of the remaining problems to study for exams as well. It doesn't have tons and tons of problems, so you can do a large fraction of them for self study and learn what you need to learn.

Alternatively, it looks like the (free!) notes on waves and oscillations by Prof. Fitzpatrick at UT Austin also have problems for you to solve.
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/315/315.html
It is at a similar level as the MIT course, I think. EDIT: I just remembered the book by Georgi - it is very good and has good problems to solve.
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~hgeorgi/onenew.pdf
It seems like buying books isn't needed for this topic.
Jason

Related to Homework sets for Intro Optics/Waves (e.g. MIT 8.03)

1. What topics are typically covered in homework sets for Intro Optics/Waves?

Homework sets for Intro Optics/Waves usually cover topics such as geometric optics, wave properties, interference, diffraction, polarization, and optical instruments.

2. How many homework sets are typically assigned for a course like MIT 8.03?

The number of homework sets assigned for a course like MIT 8.03 can vary, but typically there are around 10-12 sets assigned throughout the course.

3. Are the homework sets for Intro Optics/Waves challenging?

The level of difficulty for homework sets in Intro Optics/Waves can vary depending on the course and instructor. However, these sets are designed to help students reinforce their understanding of key concepts and develop problem-solving skills, so they may be challenging at times.

4. Are there any resources available to help with the homework sets?

Many courses offer resources such as textbooks, lecture notes, and online resources to assist students with the homework sets. There may also be opportunities to seek help from professors, teaching assistants, or other students.

5. How important are the homework sets for overall success in the course?

Homework sets are an essential component of a course like MIT 8.03 and are designed to help students develop a strong understanding of the material. Completing and understanding the homework sets can greatly contribute to a student's success in the course.