Homework: Projectile Motion of a Skydiver with Wind Effect

In summary: The correct formula is xf=xi+Vxi*tIn summary, a skydiver deploys his parachute when he is 860 m directly above his desired landing spot. He falls through the air at a steady 5.8 m/s with a breeze blowing to the west at 2.0 m/s. The angle at which he falls with respect to vertical is 19 degrees. He will miss his desired landing spot by the distance calculated using the formula xf=xi+Vxi*t, where g is not a factor due to the parachute.
LadyW

Homework Statement

A skydiver deploys his parachute when he is 860 m. directly above his desired landing spot. He then falls through the air at a steady 5.8 m/s . There is a breeze blowing to the west at 2.0 m/s. At what angle with respect to vertical does he fall? By what distance will he miss his desired landing spot?

Homework Equations

xf=xi+Vxi*t
yf=yi+Vyi*t-1/2*g*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the angle by finding the tan^-1=71, and then 90-71=19
However, I completely stucked with the second answer. I was going to find first t:
0=860m+5.8m/s*t-1/2*9.8m/s^2*t^2
and then xf=2.0m/s*t but apparently that's the wrong answer. I guess the mistake is somewhere in the equations...Please, can you help me out? Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
LadyW said:

Homework Statement

A skydiver deploys his parachute when he is 860 m. directly above his desired landing spot. He then falls through the air at a steady 5.8 m/s . There is a breeze blowing to the west at 2.0 m/s. At what angle with respect to vertical does he fall? By what distance will he miss his desired landing spot?

Homework Equations

xf=xi+Vxi*t
yf=yi+Vyi*t-1/2*g*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the angle by finding the tan^-1=71, and then 90-71=19
However, I completely stucked with the second answer. I was going to find first t:
0=860m+5.8m/s*t-1/2*9.8m/s^2*t^2
and then xf=2.0m/s*t but apparently that's the wrong answer. I guess the mistake is somewhere in the equations...Please, can you help me out? Thank you so much!

The parachutist is not really undergoing projectile motion - he is merely descending at constant speed.

When calculating his descent time, there is no reference to g (9.8) as his parachute eliminates it.

Related to Homework: Projectile Motion of a Skydiver with Wind Effect

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown and then moves through the air under the influence of gravity.

How does it apply to skydivers?

Skydivers experience projectile motion as they jump out of a plane and fall towards the ground. They are launched into the air and then move through the air under the influence of gravity.

What factors affect the trajectory of a skydiver?

The trajectory of a skydiver is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and air resistance. The weight and size of the skydiver also play a role in their trajectory.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical velocity in a skydiver's motion?

Vertical velocity refers to the speed at which the skydiver is falling towards the ground. Horizontal velocity refers to the speed at which the skydiver is moving horizontally through the air. These two velocities are independent of each other and are affected by different factors.

How can we calculate the maximum height and range of a skydiver's trajectory?

The maximum height and range of a skydiver's trajectory can be calculated using the equations of projectile motion, taking into account the initial velocity, launch angle, and gravitational acceleration. It can also be estimated using computer simulations and real-world data.