Homework problems (galvanometers)

In summary, the conversation discusses two separate problems involving finding the correct resistance for a given situation. In the first problem, the person is trying to convert a galvanometer to an ammeter, but is struggling to find the correct resistance to use in series with the coil. They use an equation involving the current, resistance of the coil and shunt, but are not getting the desired answer. In the second problem, the person is trying to find the resistance needed in a voltage divider setup, but is also having trouble finding the correct answer. They are advised to use the voltage divider formula and given some hints to help them solve the problem.
eku_girl83
I figured out the capacitor/charging problem that I last posted. Here's my latest cause of worry:
1)The Resistance of the coil of a pivoted-coil galvanometer is 7.92 Ohms and a current of .0194 A causes it to deflect full scale. We want to convert this gavanometer to an ammeter reading 10 A full scale. The only shung available has a resistance of .0436 Ohms. What resistance R must be connected in series with the coil?

I used the equation (Ifs)(Rc)=(Ia-Ifs)Rsh, where Ifs = .0194, Rc=7.92 Ohms, Ia=10 A. I then solved for Rsh and subtracted .0436 (the shunt available) from it. Why do I not get the correct answer?

2) A 150 V voltmeter has a resistance of 15000 Ohms. When connected in series with a large resistance R across a 105 V line, the meter reads 57 V. Find the resistance R.

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by eku_girl83
1) ...
Why do I not get the correct answer?
Sorry, I don't follow the question very well. From where did you get that equation?

OK, I gave it a closer look. You seem to be forgetting about what the question wants you to find. Hint #1: how many resistances should you be dealing with? Hint #2: where does the unknown resistance go? Hint #3: your equation needs just a slight modification.

Originally posted by eku_girl83
2) ...
Find the resistance R.
This is a voltage divider. Use the voltage divider formula.

Last edited:

Great job on figuring out the capacitor/charging problem! It sounds like you have a good understanding of the equations and concepts involved. Let's take a look at your current concern with the galvanometer.

For the first problem, it's important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units. When solving for Rsh, you should be using the values in Ohms, not Amps. So your equation should look like (10)(7.92)=(Ia-0.0194)Rsh. This should give you a value for Rsh of 0.0792 Ohms. Then, to find the value of R, you can subtract the available shunt resistance of 0.0436 Ohms, giving you a final value of 0.0356 Ohms for R.

For the second problem, you can use the formula V=IR to solve for R. In this case, V is 57 V, I is 57/15000=0.0038 A, and the total voltage is 105 V. So the equation would look like 105=(0.0038+R)R. Solving for R, you should get a value of 27,607.9 Ohms.

I hope this helps! Remember to always double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Keep up the good work!

Related to Homework problems (galvanometers)

1. What is a galvanometer?

A galvanometer is a device used to measure small electric currents. It consists of a coil of wire that is suspended in a magnetic field and can detect the presence and direction of a current passing through it.

2. How does a galvanometer work?

A galvanometer works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When a current passes through the coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnet, causing the coil to rotate. The amount of rotation is proportional to the current passing through the coil.

3. What are the common types of galvanometers?

The common types of galvanometers include moving coil galvanometers, moving magnet galvanometers, and ballistic galvanometers. Moving coil galvanometers are the most commonly used type and consist of a coil of wire suspended between the poles of a permanent magnet. Moving magnet galvanometers have a permanent magnet attached to the moving coil. Ballistic galvanometers are used to measure the total charge passing through the coil instead of just the current.

4. How is a galvanometer used in homework problems?

In homework problems, galvanometers are often used to measure the current passing through a circuit or to determine the direction of the current. They can also be used to measure the resistance of a circuit or to calculate the charge passing through a circuit. Students may be asked to calculate the sensitivity or range of a galvanometer, as well as its accuracy.

5. What are some common sources of error when using a galvanometer?

Some common sources of error when using a galvanometer include the resistance of the connecting wires, temperature changes, and external magnetic fields. These factors can affect the accuracy of the readings taken by the galvanometer and should be considered when using it in experiments or calculations.