Can You Identify These Cell Structures and Their Functions?

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with biology questions. They have 75 questions to complete and have already checked the internet and their book but still have blanks. The student is in Pre-IB Biology and is trying to keep up with their great teacher. They list several questions about the cell, including its structure, proteins, and functions. They also mention that they are not getting answers on a forum and are reminded to follow the rules for posting homework questions.
Stalkerfishy
Ok, well there were about 75 questions I had to do. I've done most, but have a lot of blanks. I've checked the internet and my book. But still nothing.
It would be great if you could help me :wink:

I am currently in Pre-IB Biology in 9th grade. These are not questions that we should be doing. But my science teacher is a great teacher, so I'm trying to keep up.

About the cell.

Answer as many as you can, please.

-Membrane enclosed region in a cell

-A network of microtubules, microfilaments and intermediate filaments

-A small membranous bag

-A cluster of protein-synthesizing organelles

-A water-soluble small basic protein often associated with nucleic acids

-Nonliving, outside cell membrane

-_______ membrane (starts with p, 6 letters)

- Commonest protein in muscles

- An intramembranous protein that binds to a substance being transported

- Where raw materials of ribosomes are made

-Structures on the cell membrane that are composed of simple sugars and amino acids

-Structure from which a chromosomal microtubule arises

- Composed of glycerol and fatty acids (Ends in D, 5 letters)

- Structure composed of phospholipids

-network of DNA and histones

-Site of final precessing of membrane proteins, proteins and polysaccharides for export

- A thin skin or membranous coating

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

so you know, you're not going to get a lot of responses this way...you've shown no work in trying to get these answers, and nobody here will give you answers.

Please review the rules for posting homework questions, if you follow that format, you're sure to get responses.

~Lyuokdea

-A protein that controls the movement of substances into and out of the cell

-A network of interconnected flattened sacs and tubules

-A membrane bound organelle that contains enzymes for intracellular digestion

-A stack of flattened, membranous sacs involved in packaging and sorting proteins

-A large organelle found in plant cells that functions in storage and synthesis

-A region in the cell where microtubules are produced

-A fluid filled organelle that stores water, nutrients, and waste products

-A network of interconnected tubes and channels that transport materials throughout the cell

-A membranous organelle that contains the cell's DNA and controls cellular activities

-A small, spherical organelle that contains enzymes for breaking down waste and toxic substances

-A network of flattened sacs and tubules that modifies, sorts, and packages proteins for secretion or transport

-A structure found in plant cells that provides support and protection

-A protein that forms a network or lattice within the cytoplasm to maintain cell shape and aid in cell movement

-A membrane-bound organelle that is responsible for photosynthesis in plant cells

-A small, dense region within the nucleus where ribosomal RNA is synthesized

-A membrane-bound organelle that contains enzymes for breaking down fatty acids and detoxifying harmful substances

-A network of interconnected sacs and tubules that transport materials throughout the cell, especially lipids

-A large, membrane-bound organelle that is responsible for protein synthesis in the cell

I am happy to assist you with your questions about cells. It is important to have a good understanding of cell structure and function, as it is the basic unit of life and plays a crucial role in many biological processes.

1. The membrane-enclosed region in a cell is the cytoplasm, which contains all the cellular organelles and is the site for many biochemical reactions.

2. The network of microtubules, microfilaments, and intermediate filaments is known as the cytoskeleton. It provides structural support and helps with cell movement and division.

3. A small membranous bag could refer to a vesicle, which is used for transport and storage of materials within the cell.

4. A cluster of protein-synthesizing organelles is the rough endoplasmic reticulum (ER), where proteins are made and modified.

5. A water-soluble small basic protein often associated with nucleic acids is a hist

Related to Can You Identify These Cell Structures and Their Functions?

1. What is the purpose of studying cells in biology?

The study of cells is important in biology because cells are the basic unit of life. All living organisms are composed of cells and understanding their structure and function is essential in understanding how living things work and how they interact with their environment.

2. How do cells reproduce?

Cells can reproduce through a process called cell division, where a single cell divides into two daughter cells. This can occur through mitosis, which is the division of somatic cells, or meiosis, which is the division of reproductive cells. Both processes are essential for growth and maintenance of living organisms.

3. What is the difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?

Prokaryotic cells are smaller and simpler than eukaryotic cells. They do not have a true nucleus or other membrane-bound organelles, whereas eukaryotic cells have a defined nucleus and many organelles. Prokaryotic cells are found in bacteria and archaea, while eukaryotic cells are found in plants, animals, and fungi.

4. How do cells obtain and use energy?

Cells obtain energy through the process of cellular respiration, where they break down glucose and other molecules to produce ATP. This energy is then used for various cellular processes such as growth, movement, and reproduction. Some cells also obtain energy through photosynthesis, where they use sunlight to convert carbon dioxide and water into glucose.

5. Can cells repair themselves?

Yes, cells have the ability to repair themselves through a process called cell regeneration. This is especially important for cells that are constantly dividing, such as skin cells, as they need to replace damaged or old cells. Other cells, such as neurons, have limited regenerative abilities, which is why injuries to the nervous system can be permanent.