Home-Made Fiber Optics: Alternatives to Food Jelly?

In summary, the conversation is about finding alternative materials for creating a homemade fiber optic in high vacuum conditions. The suggestion of using transparent epoxy from a hardware store is offered, along with the idea of using plastic fiber found on eBay. The original poster also mentions being interested in how to make fiber optics with jelly and suggests using a cast. However, it is noted that this method is only suitable for educational purposes, not for serious lab work. It is also mentioned that standard fiber optic cables may not be suitable for high vacuum conditions due to outgassing. The conversation ends with a request for more information about the setup.
Ravaner
Hello. I know how to realize an homemade fiber optic using some food jelly. Are there other materials, at amateur grade; to replace jelly ? ( NB this item has to be used in high vacuum, and jelly is not convenient for this use)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this to work in the visible?

You could try a transparent epoxy from a hardware store.

Claude.

P.S. I'm interested in how you make fibre optics with jelly. Do you extrude the jelly through a hole or use a cast of some sort?

Thanks for reply. Yes I'm working in invisible area. To use jelly it is possible to introduce it in a cast, but it's just for educational application not really serious for lab. Sorry for the attached doc, it's in French ...

Attachments

• fibre_gélatine.pdf
    119.3 KB · Views: 3,194
You can buy plastic fibre quite cheaply. Try ebay?

Ravaner said:
Hello. I know how to realize an homemade fiber optic using some food jelly. Are there other materials, at amateur grade; to replace jelly ? ( NB this item has to be used in high vacuum, and jelly is not convenient for this use)

Materials like epoxies, etc., will outgas in a high vacuum. Even standard FO cables may outgas too much for high vacuum work. Can you just use line-of-sight optics and mirrors? Can you say more about your setup?

Related to Home-Made Fiber Optics: Alternatives to Food Jelly?

1. What materials can be used to make home-made fiber optics?

Home-made fiber optics can be made from a variety of materials such as plastic tubes, plastic straws, glass rods, or even spaghetti noodles. The key factor is that the material must be transparent and allow light to pass through it.

2. How do I create the light source for my home-made fiber optics?

The light source can be created using a simple LED or flashlight. You can also use a laser pointer for a more focused and intense light source. Make sure to securely attach the light source to one end of the fiber optic material.

3. Can I use food jelly as a substitute for the fiber optic material?

No, food jelly is not a suitable alternative for fiber optic material. It is not transparent enough to allow light to pass through and will not work as a medium for transmitting light.

4. What is the purpose of using home-made fiber optics?

Home-made fiber optics can be used for various purposes such as creating decorative lighting, educational experiments, or even as a DIY tool for inspecting hard-to-reach places. It can also be used as a cost-effective alternative to commercial fiber optic cables.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making home-made fiber optics?

Yes, it is important to handle the materials carefully as they can break or shatter. Make sure to wear protective eyewear when handling glass rods. Also, be cautious when working with a light source and avoid looking directly at it to prevent eye damage.