Hollow Spherical Magnet: Construction, Magnetic Field and Interactions Explained

In summary, a hollow spherical magnet with an interior and exterior of the opposite polarity cannot be created. The magnetic field would look something like the attached picture.
Harmony
Is it possible, thematically or practically, to construct a hollow spherical magnet with inner surface and external surface of opposite polarity? How would the magnetic field looks like?

Assuming it is possible, what would happened if I place a smaller hollow spherical magnet, but of the opposite polarity, in the larger spherical hollow magnet?

Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not possible.

Vanadium 50 said:
It is not possible.

Any explanation as to what prevents it?

Neil

It would be a magnetic monopole. I think that most physical theories have it that these don't exist.

I know that's not an entirely satisfactory answer.

I think an interesting exercise may be to assume you have such a system, and applying the boundary conditions of magnetostatics, show that B or H is zero both inside and outside the shell... I'm sure this is what would happen. Why? Because it seems obvious to me that you could jury-rig a sphere using modified bar magnets, but the result cannot be magnetized. Ergo, zero B-field.

Other ideas?

csprof2000 said:
It would be a magnetic monopole. ...

...seems obvious to me that you could jury-rig a sphere using modified bar magnets, but the result cannot be magnetized. Ergo, zero B-field.

Bar magnets is what I was thinking...I was wondering if the repulsive energy would cause a reversal of the field on one (weak) side.

I'm embarassed that I didn't think of the monopole!

Thanks, Neil

csprof2000 said:
It would be a magnetic monopole. I think that most physical theories have it that these don't exist.

I know that's not an entirely satisfactory answer.

I think an interesting exercise may be to assume you have such a system, and applying the boundary conditions of magnetostatics, show that B or H is zero both inside and outside the shell... I'm sure this is what would happen. Why? Because it seems obvious to me that you could jury-rig a sphere using modified bar magnets, but the result cannot be magnetized. Ergo, zero B-field.

Other ideas?

Thanks for the prompt replies. Yeah, I think that even if we manage to forge such a magnet, the magnetic domain will probably rearrange again.

Is it correct for me to generalise that we can never make a hollow closed-surface magnet with exterior and interior of the opposite polarity?

What if the surface is not entirely closed? (eg. A sphere with a hole) I am not sure how to calculate the magnetic field of such system, perhaps the maths is far beyond my reach :smile:

Also, has anyone succeeded in creating a pseudo magnetic monopole yet?

The field line configuration you are trying to create is not consistent with the equations describing how magnetic fields behave. (Specifically that the divergence of the magnetic field is zero).

Vanadium 50 said:
The field line configuration you are trying to create is not consistent with the equations describing how magnetic fields behave. (Specifically that the divergence of the magnetic field is zero).

I found this online:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node35.html

Hmm...so the div B cannot be zero if Maxwell Equations are correct (No magnetic monopole). But is the statement equivalent to pseudo magnetic monopole (any arrangement of dipole that partially resemble a monopole) cannot exist? (I remember that I read somewhere that some condense state matter resemble magnetic monopole partially)

Harmony said:
Thanks for the prompt replies. Yeah, I think that even if we manage to forge such a magnet, the magnetic domain will probably rearrange again.

Is it correct for me to generalise that we can never make a hollow closed-surface magnet with exterior and interior of the opposite polarity?

What if the surface is not entirely closed? (eg. A sphere with a hole) I am not sure how to calculate the magnetic field of such system, perhaps the maths is far beyond my reach :smile:

Also, has anyone succeeded in creating a pseudo magnetic monopole yet?

Please build your magnetic field with dipole sources. What kinds of fields can you make?

As long as the surface isn't closed, it may be possible. I would guess it would look something like the attached picture. Thoughts?

Attachments

• magnetic.jpg
    magnetic.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 907
Consider theoretically constructing the sperical magnet as a series of normal bar magnets (consider 2-dimensions for simplicity). If you have two bar magnets opposite each other along the x-axis with like poles facing (N against N, or S against S). The field lines between the magnets diverges along the y-axis.

Add two more bar magnets (like poles facing) along the y-axis. Now the field lines diverge between the gaps either side of the magnets. You can probably see where this is going now...

As you increase the number of bar magnets, the field lines diverge between the gaps. Let's take this model to the infinite limit; you have an infinite number of infinitesimal bar magnets forming a sphere. The field lines would "squeeze" between the gaps, but in the infinite limit, this actually means that the field lines reverse direction entirely.

The result is that the field lines go back into the magnet and cancel themselves. Therefore the field is zero everywhere; hence no monopole!

Try applying Stokes theorem on the electric currents over each half of the circle (in the case of constructing this thing from a bunch of outward-facing bar magnets) - the current going around the equator due to one hemisphere is equal to the sum of the currents at each point on the surface, which will exactly cancel the current going around the equator due to the opposing surface. So there will be no net current, and no magnetic field.

To MikeyW.

The problem with your approach (as it stands) is that the magnetic field isn't varying in time, so the Maxwell-Faraday equation tells you that there is no electric current. I don't think this alone tells you anything about the existence (or lack thereof) of the magnetic field.

Your approach does however work if you consider each infinitesimal bar magnet to be an electromagnet connected to an AC current. In this case, the polarity of the magnets would vary sinusoidally, producing your electric field. And then, as you stated, the currents will zero at all times because the entire spherical shell is an equipotential.

I certainly like your elegant way of looking at this problem

The problem with your approach (as it stands) is that the magnetic field isn't varying in time, so the Maxwell-Faraday equation tells you that there is no electric current.

Any magnetic field - static or nonstatic - is generated by a current. A bar magnet is a current loop, so I'm picturing a sphere consisting of an infinite set of infinitesimal current loops on its surface. Each one is fully canceled by its neighbours, and because the surface is closed, there are no loops without neighbours to cancel - no net current.

ok, I see what you mean, thanks for the clarification

Related to Hollow Spherical Magnet: Construction, Magnetic Field and Interactions Explained

1. What is a hollow spherical magnet?

A hollow spherical magnet is a type of magnet that has a spherical shape and a hollow interior. It contains a magnetic field that is strongest at the poles and weaker towards the center.

2. How is a hollow spherical magnet constructed?

A hollow spherical magnet is typically constructed using a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, that is formed into a spherical shape. The material is then magnetized to create a north and south pole on opposite sides of the sphere.

3. What is the magnetic field like inside a hollow spherical magnet?

The magnetic field inside a hollow spherical magnet is similar to that of a bar magnet, with the strongest field near the poles and weaker towards the center. However, because of its spherical shape, the field is more evenly distributed and has no preferred direction.

4. How do hollow spherical magnets interact with other magnets?

Hollow spherical magnets can interact with other magnets in a similar way to bar magnets. They can attract or repel each other depending on the orientation of their poles. However, because of their spherical shape, they have a more complex interaction pattern and can also rotate and align with each other in different ways.

5. What are some practical applications of hollow spherical magnets?

Hollow spherical magnets have various applications, such as in magnetic sensors and actuators, magnetic levitation systems, and medical devices. They are also commonly used in speakers and microphones, where their shape allows for a more uniform magnetic field and better sound quality.