Understanding Recoil Kinetic Energy in Atomic Emission: Fact or Fiction?

In summary, the recoil kinetic energy of an atom after the emission of a photon is given by the formula Kr = (E1 - E2)^2 / 2Mc^2, where M is the mass of the atom and E1 is the initial energy level from which the electron jumped back to E2, producing the photon. This formula is derived from conservation of energy and momentum, and the relationship between a photon's energy and momentum, E=cp. The atom's recoil is a result of the conservation of momentum, which follows Newton's First Law stating that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
MiCasilla
I'm reading in a book that the recoil kinetic energy of an atom after the emission of a photon is:

Kr = (E1 - E2)^2 / 2Mc^2

Where M is the mass of the atom and E1 is the initial level from where the electron jumped back to E2, producing the photon.

Is this true? where does it come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by MiCasilla
Is this true? where does it come from?
Where does the recoil come from? Newton's First Law. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Thank you Russ,

I am not too familiar with this. What I'm trying to find out is where this formula comes from. It is not so obvious to me. In fact I am not even sure if it is right.

When the photon is emitted from the atom I can understand that it recoils, just like a gun does if you shoot...

I assume that the formula came from conservation of energy and momentum, but I do not see how to get there.

Does it make sense to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

If the electron jumps from E1 to E2, the photon has energy (E1-E2), by conservation of energy. A photon's momentum and energy satisfy the relation E=cp (this is probably your missing ingredient). Therefore, the photon has p = (E1-E2)/c. The atom now has momentum -p by conservation of momentum and its kinetic energy is given by Kr = (1/2)M v^2 = (1/(2M)) p^2. Substituting the expression for p from above leads to the answer you seek.

dhris

1. What is recoil kinetic energy in atomic emission?

Recoil kinetic energy in atomic emission refers to the energy released when an excited atom returns to its ground state by emitting a photon. This energy is a result of the conservation of momentum, where the atom gains a recoil velocity as it emits the photon in the opposite direction.

2. Is recoil kinetic energy a real phenomenon?

Yes, recoil kinetic energy is a real phenomenon that has been experimentally observed and is a fundamental principle in atomic emission. It is a result of the laws of physics, specifically the conservation of momentum and energy.

3. How is recoil kinetic energy calculated?

Recoil kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula: E = (p^2)/(2m), where E is the recoil kinetic energy, p is the momentum of the emitted photon, and m is the mass of the emitting atom. This formula can be derived from the laws of conservation of momentum and energy.

4. Does the amount of recoil kinetic energy affect the intensity of atomic emission?

Yes, the amount of recoil kinetic energy can affect the intensity of atomic emission. As the atom gains recoil velocity, the emitted photon will have a lower energy and therefore a lower intensity. This is known as the Doppler effect and is commonly observed in spectroscopy experiments.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding recoil kinetic energy in atomic emission?

Yes, understanding recoil kinetic energy in atomic emission is important in various fields such as atomic and molecular spectroscopy, laser technology, and nuclear physics. It allows for the accurate interpretation of emission spectra and can also be used to study the properties of atoms and molecules in various environments.