HIV Outside the Body: Ability to Infect & Breakdown

In summary, the ability of HIV to retain its infectiousness outside the body is a complex topic. While the CDC states that the virus is virtually destroyed once dried, there are studies that suggest it can remain infectious for longer periods of time, such as one day on a glass slide and up to 42 days in a protective enclosure. However, there are also many factors that can affect the virus's ability to infect, such as exposure to oxygen and sudden temperature changes. Further research is needed to fully understand the potential risks of HIV transmission in different environments.
haynewp
I was searching for explanations regarding the ability of HIV to retain its ability to infect once outside the body. I know that the CDC states that natural concentrations of the virus will virtually be completely destroyed once the infectious fluid containing the virus has dried. However, I think I recall reading elsewhere that once outside the host, exposure to oxygen and the sudden temperature change will "quickly" cause the virus to lose its ability to infect, although the virus may still be active in the fluid.

I was wondering if anyone could provide further explanation on the ability of HIV to infect once exposed to the environment, (if it relates to the cell walls beginning to breakdown) and if there is even any truth to what I have stated regarding infectiousness and initial breakdown of the virus.

Biology news on Phys.org
Old paper showing dried virus sample on a glass slide remains infectious for more than one day:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC263082/
This one is much more recent. Please consider reading it. It mentions 42 days as the period over which the virus is infectious in a protective enclosure. But there are a lot of unexplained non-transmission events as well.
https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/workplace/cdc-hiv101.pdf

Related to HIV Outside the Body: Ability to Infect & Breakdown

1. What is HIV and how is it transmitted?

HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) is a virus that attacks the immune system and can lead to AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome). It is primarily transmitted through contact with infected bodily fluids, such as blood, semen, vaginal fluids, and breast milk.

2. Can HIV survive outside of the body?

HIV cannot survive for long periods of time outside of the body. It is a fragile virus and can only survive for a short time in the open air. Factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to sunlight can also affect its survival.

3. Can HIV be transmitted through casual contact?

No, HIV cannot be transmitted through casual contact such as hugging, shaking hands, or sharing utensils. It requires direct contact with infected bodily fluids for transmission to occur.

4. How long does HIV survive on surfaces?

The survival time of HIV on surfaces varies depending on the conditions. In general, it can only survive for a few minutes to hours outside of the body. However, if the bodily fluid containing the virus is in a closed container, it can potentially survive for longer periods of time.

5. What precautions can I take to prevent HIV transmission?

The best way to prevent HIV transmission is to practice safe sex by using condoms and not sharing needles or other injection equipment. It is also important to get tested regularly and know your HIV status. If you are HIV positive, taking antiretroviral medication as prescribed can greatly reduce the likelihood of transmitting the virus to others.