Hitting a billiard ball h above centerline

• Thread starter CrazyDolphin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a billiard ball being given a sharp impulse by a cue held horizontally at a distance h above the center line. The ball eventually acquires a final speed of 9vo/7 due to its forward English. The task is to prove that h=4R/5, where R is the radius of the ball. Various equations and attempts at a solution are mentioned, including using FRsin(θ)=Iα and the impulse equation, as well as finding wrong and contradictory answers about ω0. A link to a solution for a similar problem is also provided.
CrazyDolphin

Homework Statement

A billiard ball, initially at rest, is given a sharp impulse by a cue. the cue is held horizontally a distance h above the center line. the ball leaves the cue with a speed vo, and because of its "forward English", eventually acquires a final speed of 9vo/7. Show that h=4R/5, where R is the radius of the ball.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using FRsin(θ)=Iα and coming up with h = (2/5)R^2(α/a). Then using the impulse equation a = v0/Δt and α= ω0/t i got h=(2/5)R^2(ω0/v0). The thing is I keep getting wrong and contradictory answers about ω0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. How does hitting a billiard ball above the centerline affect its trajectory?

Hitting a billiard ball above the centerline will cause it to have a lower trajectory and potentially less spin. This is because the cue stick is hitting the ball at a higher point, causing it to have a downward force and less upward force, resulting in a lower trajectory.

2. Is it possible to hit a billiard ball h above the centerline and still have it go straight?

Yes, it is possible to hit a billiard ball h above the centerline and still have it go straight. This can be achieved by hitting the ball with the cue stick at the exact center of the ball, causing the upward and downward forces to cancel out and resulting in a straight shot.

3. How does hitting a billiard ball above the centerline affect the amount of spin on the ball?

Hitting a billiard ball above the centerline will decrease the amount of spin on the ball. This is because the cue stick is hitting the ball at a higher point, causing it to have a downward force and less rotational force, resulting in less spin.

4. Can hitting a billiard ball above the centerline cause it to jump off the table?

Yes, hitting a billiard ball above the centerline can cause it to jump off the table. This is because the downward force from hitting the ball above the centerline can cause it to have a higher trajectory and potentially hit the edge of the table, causing it to jump off.

5. How can I adjust my shot to hit a billiard ball above the centerline?

To hit a billiard ball above the centerline, you can adjust the angle of your cue stick and the amount of force applied. By aiming slightly higher on the ball and using less force, you can achieve a shot that is above the centerline. Practice and experimentation will help you find the right adjustments for your shot.