History of Mathematics: A Review of Steven Krantz's Book

In summary: MS Regional Conference Series in Mathematics, Number 25 (1975), Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times. (Amazon)Dover Publications (1990), Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times (three volume set). (Amazon)Courier Dover Publications (1990), Mathematics for the Nonmathematician. (Amazon)In summary, there are several books that you could refer to for the history of mathematics, including "The History of Mathematics: An Introduction" by David Burton, "Dictionary of Scientific Biography," and works by Morris Kline.
Amer
Science news on Phys.org
Amer said:
Hey

I am looking for a book talking about history of mathematics
Steven Krantz has one here
Amazon
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: An Episodic History of Mathematics: Mathematical Culture through Problem Solving (Maa Textbook) (Mathematical Association of America Textbooks)

who know this book or is there any other good books talking about history of math
I found that book as pdf free with 480 pages, amazon book is 380 !
any advises ?
Thanks

Hi Amer, :)

Here are some of the books that I have referred to find historical facts about mathematics.

1) The History of Mathematics: An Introduction: David Burton: 9780073051895: Amazon.com: Books

2) Dictionary of Scientific Biography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also I found the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive quite useful on many occasions.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

The Carl Boyer book from Dover is great for the history of Calculus in particular, but I don't know if that's of interest to you.

Amer said:
Hey

I am looking for a book talking about history of mathematics
Steven Krantz has one here
Amazon
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: An Episodic History of Mathematics: Mathematical Culture through Problem Solving (Maa Textbook) (Mathematical Association of America Textbooks)

who know this book or is there any other good books talking about history of math
I found that book as pdf free with 480 pages, amazon book is 380 !
any advises ?
Thanks

Several works by Morris Kline could be of interest.

CB

Related to History of Mathematics: A Review of Steven Krantz's Book

1. What is the main focus of Steven Krantz's book "History of Mathematics"?

The main focus of Steven Krantz's book is to provide a comprehensive review and analysis of the history of mathematics, from ancient civilizations to modern times. It covers a wide range of topics, including the development of mathematical concepts and techniques, the contributions of famous mathematicians, and the impact of mathematics on society and other fields of study.

2. What makes this book a valuable resource for understanding the history of mathematics?

This book is a valuable resource because it presents the history of mathematics in a clear and organized manner, making it accessible to both experts and non-experts. It also includes detailed explanations and examples, as well as interesting anecdotes and insights, making it an engaging read for anyone interested in the subject.

3. Does the book cover all periods and cultures in the history of mathematics?

While the book covers a wide range of periods and cultures, it is not meant to be a complete or exhaustive history of mathematics. It focuses on key developments and influential figures, providing a broad overview of the subject rather than a comprehensive account.

4. Is this book suitable for students or only for professionals?

This book is suitable for both students and professionals. It is written in a clear and accessible style, making it easy for students to understand, while also providing valuable insights and information for professionals in the field of mathematics.

5. Does the book discuss the relevance of the history of mathematics in modern times?

Yes, the book does discuss the relevance of the history of mathematics in modern times. It explores how mathematical concepts, techniques, and discoveries have shaped our world and continue to impact various fields such as science, technology, and economics. It also highlights the ongoing development and evolution of mathematics in contemporary research and applications.