History of Error Bars in Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the history of error bars in scientific work and how they became a standard in modern-day research. The concept of error bars is briefly described, and the conversation then delves into the development and adoption of error bars in scientific papers. The mention of a 1803 paper by Thomas Young and a discussion of a Physics Forums thread point to the origins of error bars dating back to the 1950s. The conversation ends with a reference to an article that further explores the history of error bars and their importance in scientific experiments.
eudo
I was reading an 1803 paper by Thomas Young (of double slit fame), "Experiments and Calculations relative to physical Optics". In it, he lists various dimensions of fringes of light and things.

All without any error bars.

It got me thinking, what's the history of error bars in scientific work? I mean nowadays, no one would submit a paper without any error bars. How did this become the standard?

Physics news on Phys.org

That page is more a brief description of what an error bar is. I'm looking more for the history of its development. When did it become common to put error bars around things? Did a bunch of scientists come to some conference one day and discuss how they needed to describe the uncertainties in their measurements? Or did one guy start doing it, and others thought that was a great idea and followed suit? That sort of thing...

Actually, I found another thread that I missed before, talking about something similar:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/history-of-error-analysis.791647/
[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/history-of-error-analysis.791647/[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
eudo said:
It got me thinking, what's the history of error bars in scientific work? I mean nowadays, no one would submit a paper without any error bars. How did this become the standard?
Towards the end of this reference it says that error bars became considered essential sometime in the 1950s, but it doesn’t give further details

http://www.edu-observatory.org/physics-faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html

Related to History of Error Bars in Physics

1. What are error bars in physics?

Error bars in physics are graphical representations of the uncertainty or variability in a set of data points. They are used to show the range of possible values for a particular measurement or calculation, and help to indicate the level of precision or accuracy of the data.

2. Why are error bars important in physics?

Error bars are important in physics because they provide a visual representation of the uncertainty in a measurement or calculation. This allows scientists to determine the reliability of their data and draw appropriate conclusions from it.

3. How are error bars calculated in physics?

Error bars are typically calculated using statistical methods, such as standard deviation or standard error. These methods take into account the variability of the data points and provide a measure of the uncertainty associated with the data.

4. How do error bars impact the interpretation of data in physics?

Error bars can greatly impact the interpretation of data in physics. They can indicate the level of precision or accuracy of the data, and can also show the significance of any differences between data sets. Without error bars, it is difficult to determine the true meaning and reliability of the data.

5. How have error bars evolved in the history of physics?

Error bars have evolved in the history of physics from simple visual representations of uncertainty to more sophisticated statistical methods for calculating and representing uncertainty. This evolution has allowed for more accurate and precise measurements in physics, leading to advancements in scientific understanding and technology.