History Channel' Universe Series - What went wrong?

In summary: You feel like such a loser at the end of the marathon. Don't even get me started on Modern Marvels and Extreme Engineering.
earamsey
History Channel' Universe Series -- What went wrong?

I loved watching History Channels Universe Series but as of late it appears to be on the level of a moron. Why they dumb it down to this extreme? I'm insulted and stopped watching it. Can you guys help me complain send them email so they talk about more math and equations and stop simplifying to the point it is incorrect or makes no damn sense!

Currently, it's more about pretty colorized b&w telescope pictures and science fiction explanations.

Science news on Phys.org

This is the same channel that has:

UFO Hunters
MysteryQuest
MonsterQuest
Nostradamus Effect

Oh it is? I didn't know it had degraded so far down. I don't watch much tv and when I do I seek out science programs. Nova is what I usually watch but in my area it's switched to HD format and I don't have HD TV because it's too expensive just to watch a few shows.

I don't understand your complaint here.

If you want to learn more about the math and equations behind the science, turn off the TV and open a book. That's not what this program is for.

Watch Family Guy's "Cosmos for Red-Necks"

Hello, I am Carl Sagan. Scientists have determined that the universe is [... hundreds and hundreds...] of years old and that dinosaur bones have been buried in the ground by [...Jesus...]

Someday when there are 10,000 channels, there might even be one devoted to, not so pop, physics and cosmology (and even *gasp*, mathematics) ...

DaveC426913 said:
Watch Family Guy's "Cosmos for Red-Necks"

Hello, I am Carl Sagan. Scientists have determined that the universe is [... hundreds and hundreds...] of years old and that dinosaur bones have been buried in the ground by [...Jesus...]

Hahaha! Oh man that is great! I'd never seen/heard that before, but I can imagine it perfectly

It's great

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome.

Nabeshin said:
Hahaha! Oh man that is great! I'd never seen/heard that before, but I can imagine it perfectly

I don't get it. Could you explain?

Nabeshin said:
I don't understand your complaint here.

If you want to learn more about the math and equations behind the science, turn off the TV and open a book. That's not what this program is for.

Like Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, who said I don't read? Just that I use to enjoy the series ..

DavidSnider said:
This is the same channel that has:

UFO Hunters
MysteryQuest
MonsterQuest

And MapQuest. Don't forget MapQuest.

Seriously,
History channel is second only to the travel channel for shows made of utter garbage. It's doing more than dumbing-down; it's building this immense scaffolding of wrongness that will mutate the thinking capabilities of its viewers. Where dumbing-down is only "taking away" facts and logic, this crap is "putting in replacements" for facts and logic that cause people to go around being authoritatively stupid.

Chi Meson said:
Seriously,
History channel is second only to the travel channel for shows made of utter garbage. It's doing more than dumbing-down; it's building this immense scaffolding of wrongness that will mutate the thinking capabilities of its viewers. Where dumbing-down is only "taking away" facts and logic, this crap is "putting in replacements" for facts and logic that cause people to go around being authoritatively stupid.

The real scary thing is that it is not they who are driving the content; it is the viewing public that's driving the content. TV stations show what people will watch or they die.

Can you guys help me complain send them email so they talk about more math and equations and stop simplifying to the point it is incorrect or makes no damn sense!
They want to cater to the average viewer, and nothing alienates the average viewer faster than math equations.

I despise any show that recaps the entire show up to the point you are watching after every commercial break.

"Lets take 25 minutes worth of info and spread it out over an hour."

Its like punishing the people who took the time to actually watch the entire show.

Pattonias said:
I despise any show that recaps the entire show up to the point you are watching after every commercial break.

"Lets take 25 minutes worth of info and spread it out over an hour."

Its like punishing the people who took the time to actually watch the entire show.

I have been toying with the idea of taking a few sample shows and charting exactly how much real footage it contains versus "recap". It used to be that a half hour show was only 22 minutes after commercials but I think it's down to, like, 6 minutes.

How many people here can spend several hours happily watching "How it's made" episodes?

"Oh, that's how shoelaces are made."

"Oh, that's how industrial cable is made."

You feel like such a loser at the end of the marathon. Don't even get me started on Modern Marvels and Extreme Engineering.

I also really like Dirty Jobs, Mike Rowe is probably one of my favorite people on television.

Pattonias said:
How many people here can spend several hours happily watching "How it's made" episodes?
Well, maybe not several hours but I do enjoy the show. Seen most of the eps.

DaveC426913 said:
I have been toying with the idea of taking a few sample shows and charting exactly how much real footage it contains versus "recap". It used to be that a half hour show was only 22 minutes after commercials but I think it's down to, like, 6 minutes.

MythBusters is the worst offender in this category. Instead of doing recaps, how about once and a while saying how you could have busted the myth on the back of an envelope?

DavidSnider said:
MythBusters is the worst offender in this category. Instead of doing recaps,
True but...

how about once and a while saying how you could have busted the myth on the back of an envelope?[/QUOTE]
Well, the whole point of the show is to see it busted, manifestly. It is the answer to the problem of: "Look, I proved it on paper. Now just trust me."

DaveC426913 said:
True but...
how about once and a while saying how you could have busted the myth on the back of an envelope?
Well, the whole point of the show is to see it busted, manifestly. It is the answer to the problem of: "Look, I proved it on paper. Now just trust me."

Oh, I totally agree. I'm just saying that there is a lot of content that could be used as a supplement to the physical experiment that would be better than filling up time with recaps. It's also a good opportunity to show why theory and practice don't always line up.

One of the shows that I think gets it right is "Good Eats".

Last edited:

DavidSnider said:
Oh, I totally agree. I'm just saying that there is a lot of content that could be used as a supplement to the physical experiment that would be better than filling up time with recaps. It's also a good opportunity to show why theory and practice don't always line up.

One of the shows that I think gets it right is "Good Eats".

Mythbusters is one of the truest shows on TV, but sometimes they do need some filler. ANd has been stated, they have the capability to "do the math," but they would lose 80% of their audience as soon as the pen came out. I have some students in a class that are the lowest of the low in terms of capabilities and motivation. They pay attention to the Mythbusters, and I can actually use some episodes to actually teach them some stuff.

Give them love, bro.EDIT:
no I never say that.

Related to History Channel' Universe Series - What went wrong?

1. What is the premise of the "History Channel' Universe Series - What went wrong?"

The premise of the series is to explore major events in human history and examine the potential reasons or contributing factors that led to their downfall or failure.

2. Is the "History Channel' Universe Series - What went wrong?" scientifically accurate?

As a scientist, I cannot speak for the entire series, but it is important to note that the History Channel is primarily an entertainment channel and may not always prioritize scientific accuracy over dramatic storytelling.

3. What types of historical events are covered in the series?

The series covers a wide range of events, including natural disasters, political revolutions, wars, economic collapses, and technological failures.

4. Are there any recurring themes or patterns in the series?

One recurring theme in the series is the impact of human decision-making and actions on the course of history. Another theme is the interconnectedness of different events and their ripple effects.

5. How can the "History Channel' Universe Series - What went wrong?" help us learn from the past?

By examining past events and analyzing their causes and consequences, the series can provide valuable insight and lessons that can inform our decision-making and potentially prevent similar mistakes from happening in the future.