Histograms in Excel: Analysis of Lab Report Grading

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, Andre@Berkeman explains how to make a histogram in Excel using the matrix frequency function. The data range is entered in column B, the bins in column D, and the function is waveed using <ctrl> + <shift> + <enter>.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I want to have an analysis of my lab report grading for my students and I figured I could make a histogram. I had been manually doing =COUNTIF()'s before but I learned you could install a histogram package just now! However, it seems to be giving me conflicting results that have to do with how the BIN sizes work.

Here's what I have: A bunch of report grades from 0-20 and I occasionally give students half integer grades such as 15.5 or 18.5 or whatever. I have a list of grades, 0 to 20 in integer steps. I do a COUNTIF() and count up the integer guys and the half integer guys. For example, for the 15 score, i count up 15s and 15.5s. Then I plot those both as 15s. However, when I use the actual histogram function, I get numbers that aren't exactly what I have by doing COUNTIF()s. I used the 0-20 list as my bin array. Apparently that must be causing the problem. I assumed, and as far as any site that I read told me, that if they go as 1,2,3,4,5 etc, that it would count how many scores are 1-1.999,2-2.999,3-3.999, etc but that doesn't seem to be exactly how it works. Can someone explain how Excel does this?

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the problem is, but could you fix it by just adding a column with the scores truncated (to force the 15.5s into the 15 bin, as you say you want to do anyway)? Then you can run your histogram on the new column instead...

PW,

Not sure exactly either what you are looking for but if this excel sheet vaguely resembles that, maybe we should discuss matrix funxions with the ctlr-shift-enter trick.

Andre

Attachments

• student-scoring.xls
    24 KB · Views: 229
@Berkeman, That would probably take too much time for what I want to do. I also want to figure out exactly how it works for future reference. My students grades are in basically a 25x12 grid... 25ish students, 12 labs. I would have to truncate everything... which I would assume be by hand which defeats the purpose of being able to just toss up a quick histogram to figure out what the breakdown looks like.

@Andre I'm not sure what happened but that spreadsheet you sent me got screwed up. Everything seems to have ASELECTUSSEN(4,100) as the entries...

Pengwuino said:
@Andre I'm not sure what happened but that spreadsheet you sent me got screwed up. Everything seems to have ASELECTUSSEN(4,100) as the entries...

Sorry about that, it's probably a mismatch in function names with the Dutch Excel version I happen to have on this laptop.

Anyway the new one has the function replaced by numbers, to demonstate how to make a histogram with the matrix frequency function.

Prepare it by entering your data series (column b) and the bins (column d) in which to divide them.

Then select the cells in a column for the function frequency or in Dutch interval, most convient directly next to the bins hence e4:e13 here.

Enter the data range B4:B103 and bin range D4:D13 and wave the magic wand using <ctrl> + <shift> + <enter> (CSE) to complete the array function.

Attachments

• student-scoring-2.xls
    25.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Related to Histograms in Excel: Analysis of Lab Report Grading

1. What is a histogram in Excel?

A histogram in Excel is a graphical representation of data that shows the frequency of values within a specified range. It is a useful tool for analyzing and visualizing data, particularly in scientific research.

2. How do I create a histogram in Excel?

To create a histogram in Excel, you first need to organize your data into a table with a column for the categories or intervals and a column for the corresponding frequencies. Then, select the entire table and click on the "Insert" tab, followed by "Charts" and "Histogram." This will generate a basic histogram, which you can customize by right-clicking on the chart and selecting "Format Chart Area."

3. What is the purpose of using a histogram in a lab report?

The purpose of using a histogram in a lab report is to visually represent the distribution of data and identify any patterns or trends. It can also help to identify outliers or anomalies in the data, which can be important for drawing conclusions and making recommendations based on the results of the experiment.

4. How can I interpret the information presented in a histogram?

When interpreting a histogram, you should pay attention to the shape of the distribution, the central tendency (mean, median, or mode), and the spread of the data. For example, a symmetrical bell-shaped histogram indicates a normal distribution, while a skewed histogram may suggest a more skewed or non-normal distribution of the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using histograms in Excel for data analysis?

While histograms can be a useful tool for data analysis, they do have some limitations. For example, they can only display discrete data, not continuous data, and they may not accurately represent the underlying data if the intervals are too wide or too narrow. Additionally, it is important to carefully select the intervals and axes to avoid misleading interpretations of the data.