Histocompatability complex protein modification

In summary, this conversation covers the difficulties that a potential organ donor has due to incompatible histocompatability complex proteins. It also covers the potential treatments that are being developed to allow for more donors.
Mk
If I'm right, incompatible histocompatability complex proteins can be the things that prevent an organ donor from being able to donate organs to the people that need them.

It took a week of goading before I could get her to consider it. I think if it were some dead guy she wouldn't have to think about it, instead of me. But I cracked her.

What are the differences that did not allow me to donate? I (more like her) have been a victim of this inability to donate. I wanted more than anything in the world to donate my liver to her, but her blood type is O-. The devastation on my part wasn't as bad as I thought, because I prepared myself to just accept it if so.

Now we can only wait for treatments in stem cell research to happen within the next ten years that will allow a liver to be grown, because no other future treatments have been hypothesisized. Or she may find an O- donor.

How long will it be, if ever, can we have the power to modify the proteins? Even if it is irrelevant to this question, is it like "how long will it be before we can download information to a computer to our brain?" Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
Mk said:
How long will it be, if ever, can we have the power to modify the proteins? Even if it is irrelevant to this question, is it like "how long will it be before we can download information to a computer to our brain?" Thank you.

My heart does out to you and her.

This is where research is now; they are beginning to be able to READ what nuclear proteins do to the genes, starting to be sure with this common weed, the "lab rat" for many genetics studies. Say a decade to get to the first, shaky, attempts to use the new knowledge to DO something.

I'm glad that my idea was more than plausible in the next hundred years, and that there is something in the making, and that people ahead will rather soon not have to worry. Her projected lifespan is however, about ten years.

The link doesn't work, according to my browser, you have the wrong target.

Related to Histocompatability complex protein modification

What is the histocompatibility complex (MHC) and why is it important?

The histocompatibility complex (MHC) is a group of genes that are responsible for producing proteins involved in the immune response. These proteins help the immune system recognize and respond to foreign substances, such as bacteria and viruses. They are important for maintaining a healthy immune system and preventing disease.

How does the MHC protein get modified?

The MHC protein can be modified through a process called post-translational modification. This involves the addition of chemical groups, such as phosphate or sugar molecules, to the protein after it has been synthesized. These modifications can alter the structure and function of the protein, and play important roles in immune responses and disease development.

What are the functions of MHC protein modification?

MHC protein modification has several functions, including regulating the immune response, presenting antigens to immune cells, and promoting immune cell signaling. These modifications can also influence the stability and turnover of MHC proteins, as well as their interactions with other molecules in the body.

What factors can affect MHC protein modification?

There are several factors that can affect MHC protein modification, including genetics, environmental factors, and disease. Genetic variations in the MHC genes can impact the types and levels of modifications that occur. Environmental factors such as diet and exposure to toxins can also influence MHC protein modification. Additionally, certain diseases, such as autoimmune disorders, can alter the modification patterns of MHC proteins.

How is MHC protein modification studied and analyzed?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study and analyze MHC protein modification, including mass spectrometry, protein sequencing, and biochemical assays. These methods allow researchers to identify specific modifications and their locations on the protein, as well as measure their abundance and functional effects. Studying MHC protein modification can provide valuable insights into the immune system and its role in health and disease.