Hip Fracture Falls: Reduce Speed with Elastic Hip Pads

In summary: Falling causes the hip to fracture, even with no impact. The doctor says that the elderly need to be very careful, because even a small fall can cause a fracture. In summary, Falls result in hip fractures are a major cause of injury and even death to the elderly. Typically, the hip's speed at impact is about 2.0 m/s. If this can be reduced to 1.3 m/s or less, the hip will usually not fracture. One way to do this is by wearing elastic hip pads. If the typical pad is 5.0 cm thick and compresses by 2.0 cm during the impact of a fall, what constant acceleration (in m/s^2 and in g's) does the
Toranc3

Homework Statement

Falls result in hip fractures are a major cause of injury and even death to the elderly. Typically, the hip's speed at impact is about 2.0 m/s. If this can be reduced to 1.3 m/s or less, the hip will usually not fracture. One way to do this is by wearing elastic hip pads. If the typical pad is 5.0 cm thick and compresses by 2.0 cm during the impact of a fall, what constant acceleration (in m/s^2 and in g's) does the hip undergo to reduce its speed from 2.0 m/s to 1.3 m/s?

Report Abuse

Homework Equations

V^(2)=Vo^(2) + 2A(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.3m/s)^(2)=(2.0m/s)^(2) + 2A(0.05m-0.02m)

A= -38.6m/s^(2) [EDIT] sorry!

Is this right? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Toranc3. The quantity (X-Xo) represents the displacement during the deceleration. I don't interpret the problem as saying that this displacement is 3.0 cm. Can you convince me that you should take the difference between the 5.0 cm and the 2.0 cm?

Also, I don't think you did the math correctly. [EDIT, your math is fine!]

Finally, what should be the units for the acceleration?

Last edited:
Toranc3 said:

Homework Statement

Falls result in hip fractures are a major cause of injury and even death to the elderly. Typically, the hip's speed at impact is about 2.0 m/s. If this can be reduced to 1.3 m/s or less, the hip will usually not fracture. One way to do this is by wearing elastic hip pads. If the typical pad is 5.0 cm thick and compresses by 2.0 cm during the impact of a fall, what constant acceleration (in m/s^2 and in g's) does the hip undergo to reduce its speed from 2.0 m/s to 1.3 m/s?

Report Abuse

Homework Equations

V^(2)=Vo^(2) + 2A(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.3m/s)^(2)=(2.0m/s)^(2) + 2A(0.05m-0.02m)

A= -38.6m/s^(2) [EDIT] sorry!

Is this right? Thanks!

Note the problem says it was compressed by 2 cm, not compressed to 2cm thickness.

I think I see it now. So because it decreased by 2 cm that is the only distance in which the velocity decreased(decelerated). So nothing happened with the rest of the 3 cm thickness. Therefore I use the distance from 0 to 2 cm. Would it be correct to say all of that?

Toranc3 said:
I think I see it now. So because it decreased by 2 cm that is the only distance in which the velocity decreased(decelerated). So nothing happened with the rest of the 3 cm thickness. Therefore I use the distance from 0 to 2 cm. Would it be correct to say all of that?

Yes, I think that's right.

Thank you TSny and PeterO! :)

Toranc3 said:

Correct. No padding squashes to zero thickness, this particular padding is apparently designed to crush from 5cm to 3 cm under the load.

My mother broke her hip by turning in an akward manner, then she fell. Old bones break easily. Her doctor says this is common in the elderly. They break bones first, doing what for younger people is ordinary activity, and then they fall. Padding would not help.

Related to Hip Fracture Falls: Reduce Speed with Elastic Hip Pads

What is a hip fracture fall and how does it occur?

A hip fracture fall is a type of fall that results in a break in the bones of the hip joint. It typically occurs when a person falls onto their side and impacts their hip, causing the bones to break due to the force of the impact.

What are elastic hip pads and how do they work?

Elastic hip pads are specialized padding that can be worn over the hips to reduce the force of impact during a fall. They are made from a stretchy material that absorbs and disperses the energy from a fall, reducing the likelihood of a hip fracture.

How effective are elastic hip pads in reducing the risk of hip fractures?

Studies have shown that elastic hip pads can reduce the risk of hip fractures by up to 60%. They are especially effective for older adults who may be at a higher risk of falls and fractures.

Who can benefit from using elastic hip pads?

Elastic hip pads can benefit anyone who is at risk of hip fractures, particularly older adults, individuals with osteoporosis or other bone conditions, and those who have a history of falls. They can also be beneficial for athletes and individuals with physical disabilities.

How can I get elastic hip pads and how should I use them?

Elastic hip pads can be purchased from medical supply stores or online retailers. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper fit and use. They should be worn over clothing and adjusted to fit snugly around the hips. Regularly check the condition of the pads and replace them if they become worn or damaged.