What Happened to the Last Dollar?

• Thread starter nucleartear
  • Start date
In summary, three guys go to a motel and pay $30 for a room. The owner realizes the room is only $25 and has the bellboy give back $5 to the guys. However, the bellboy keeps $2 for his girlfriend's birthday and gives the guys $3. This leads to a confusion about the missing $1, but in reality, the guys have paid $27 in total, with $25 going to the room and $2 going to the bellboy. The joke is that the bellboy was counted twice in the calculations.
nucleartear
There are three guys who go to a motel. They ask for a room, and the owner of the motel receives to them $30. After, when the three guys are at the room, the owner remember that room is only $25, so, he calls to the bellboy and say: "Give that $5 to the three guys". But tomorrow is his girlfriend's birthday, so the bellboy take $2 and only gives $3 to the three guys.

In the beginnig, each one had paid $10, but the bellboy has give them $1 to each one, so, they have paid $9 each one, and the bellboy has the $2, so... $9 + $9 + $9 + $2 = $29

So, what's happened with that last dollar?

(it is a stupidity, I know it):smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
'Nothing'
The bellhop shortchanged the three guys by two dollars.
Divide the two dollars among the 3 guys and you get sixty-seven cents each. Add the sixty-seven cents to the one dollar previously returned to each guy and you get one dollar sixty-seven cents times 3, which equals five dollars. Subtract the five dollars from the thirty dollars originally paid and you get the revised rate of twenty-five dollars.

The key is that we are counting the bellhop twice.

The bill is: 9 + 9 + 9 - 2 = 25
plus 2 for the bellhop makes 27.

The "plus two for the bellhop" is the hook.

Congratulations!

You have win trhee adimensional-points!

You have your first block to make a triangle!

(silly joke, I know)

1. What is the purpose of "Let me tell u a problem"?

The purpose of "Let me tell u a problem" is to provide a platform for individuals to share their problems and seek advice or solutions from others.

2. Is "Let me tell u a problem" a reliable source for problem-solving?

While "Let me tell u a problem" can provide helpful insights and suggestions, it is always important to consider the credibility of the information and seek professional help if needed.

3. Are all problems discussed on "Let me tell u a problem" scientific in nature?

No, "Let me tell u a problem" is not limited to scientific problems. It is open to any type of problem, whether personal, social, or academic.

4. Can users remain anonymous when posting a problem on "Let me tell u a problem"?

Yes, users have the option to post anonymously on "Let me tell u a problem" to protect their privacy and identity.

5. Is there a limit to the number of problems a user can post on "Let me tell u a problem"?

Currently, there is no limit to the number of problems a user can post on "Let me tell u a problem". However, it is encouraged to only post relevant and genuine problems to ensure a productive and helpful community.