Hilbert's Basis Theorem - Basic Question about proof

In summary, the conversation discusses Hilbert's Basis Theorem and the beginning of its proof regarding ideals in a polynomial ring. There is a question about how to show that a specific polynomial is in the ideal, which is clarified by using the definition of an ideal and the given information about the elements in the polynomial ring.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Section 9.6 Polynomials In Several Variables Over a Field and Grobner Bases

I have a very basic question regarding the beginning of the proof of Hilbert's Basis Theorem (see attachment for a statement of the Theorem and details of the proof)

Theorem 21 (Hilbert's Basis Theorem) If R is a Noetherian ring then so is the polynomial ring R[x]

The proof begins as follows:

Proof: Let I be an ideal in R[x] and let L be the set of all leading coefficients of the elements in I. We will first show that L is an ideal of R, as follows. Since I contains the zero polynomial, [TEX] 0 \in L [/TEX].

Let [TEX] f = ax^d + ... [/TEX] and [TEX] g = bx^e + ... [/TEX] be polynomials in I of degrees d, e and leading coefficients [TEX]a, b \in R [/TEX].

Then for any [TEX] r \in R [/TEX] either ra - b is zero or it is the leading coefficient of the polynomial [TEX] rx^ef - x^dg [/TEX]. Since the latter polynomial is in I ... ...?

My problem: How do we know that the polynomial [TEX] rx^ef - x^dg [/TEX] is in I?

For [TEX] rx^ef [/TEX] to belong to I we need [TEX] rx^e \in I [/TEX]. Now it seems to me that [TEX] rx^e \in I [/TEX] if [TEX] x^e \in I [/TEX] (right?) but how do we know that or be sure that [TEX] x^e \in I [/TEX]?

Can someone clarify this situation for me?

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
My problem: How do we know that the polynomial [TEX] rx^ef - x^dg [/TEX] is in I?

We have $rx^e\in R[x]$, $x^d \in R[x]$, $f \in I$ and $g\in I$. Being $I$ an ideal and according to the definition of ideal, necessarily $rx^ef - x^dg \in I$.

Related to Hilbert's Basis Theorem - Basic Question about proof

1. What is Hilbert's Basis Theorem?

Hilbert's Basis Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that any ideal in a polynomial ring over a field has a finite set of generators. In simpler terms, it means that any polynomial equation can be broken down into a finite number of simpler equations.

2. Why is Hilbert's Basis Theorem important?

Hilbert's Basis Theorem has many important applications in algebra, geometry, and number theory. It is also a fundamental result in abstract algebra and is used in the proof of other theorems, such as the Nullstellensatz.

3. Who is David Hilbert and what is his contribution to this theorem?

David Hilbert was a German mathematician who made significant contributions to many areas of mathematics, including algebra and geometry. He first stated and proved Hilbert's Basis Theorem in 1888.

4. What is the proof of Hilbert's Basis Theorem?

The proof of Hilbert's Basis Theorem involves using mathematical induction and the concept of a Noetherian ring. It can also be proved using the concept of Gröbner bases. The full proof is quite complex and beyond the scope of this answer.

5. Are there any limitations to Hilbert's Basis Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to Hilbert's Basis Theorem. It only applies to polynomial rings over fields, and not to more general rings. It also does not provide any information about the number of generators or their specific form, only that a finite set of generators exists.