Hilbert space transformation under Poincaré translation

In summary, Veltman explains that although the reasoning behind a Hilbert space spanned by momentum states makes sense, it may not be intuitive because a translated particle cannot correspond to the same state physically. This applies to both relativistic and non-relativistic quantum mechanics. A copy of Ballentine is recommended for further understanding, particularly chapter 3 for the non-relativistic case. Additionally, Veltman mentions that the phase factor is put on the single |p> plane wave component, which is completely delocalized, while the superposition of all |p>'s is localized. This leads to the idea of a more general concept called "rigged Hilbert space", which is explained in Ballentine chapter 1.
ddd123
This is one of those "existential doubts" that most likely have a trivial solution which I can't see.

Veltman says in the Diagrammatica book:

AZBNcIo.png

Although the reasoning makes perfect sense for a Hilbert space spanned by momentum states, intuitively it doesn't make sense to me, because a translated particle cannot correspond to the same state "physically speaking" (i.e. the same ray in Hilbert space). How is that possible?

Another question: does this hold for non-relativistic quantum mechanics as well? At a glance, it seems so.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ddd123 said:
[...]

Although the reasoning makes perfect sense for a Hilbert space spanned by momentum states, intuitively it doesn't make sense to me, because a translated particle cannot correspond to the same state "physically speaking" (i.e. the same ray in Hilbert space). How is that possible?
Well, I can distinguish a particle "here" from a particle "over there". I.e., they don't have to be the same Hilbert space ray. We just want a mapping between them that corresponds to a spatial translation. Moreover, we want a Hilbert space on which all the transformations of the Poincare group are represented by unitary operators. (The terminology is that we want a "unitary irreducible representation" of the Poincare group.)

Another question: does this hold for non-relativistic quantum mechanics as well? At a glance, it seems so.
Yes.
And,... since you needed to ask these questions,... I recommend you grab a copy of Ballentine urgently and study ch3 (and possibly also ch1 and ch2 if ch3 doesn't make sense). He covers this stuff for the nonrel case (Galilei group), but once you understand that properly, the relativistic case will be a bit easier.

Will do. But I've just noticed something. The phase factor is put on the single |p> plane wave component, which by itself is completely delocalized, it's only the superposition of all |p>'s that is localized: so it's ok that the single |p> state is the same. Am I making sense?

ddd123 said:
Will do. But I've just noticed something. The phase factor is put on the single |p> plane wave component, which by itself is completely delocalized, it's only the superposition of all |p>'s that is localized: so it's ok that the single |p> state is the same. Am I making sense?
Yes -- you're getting your first hint that something more general than Hilbert space is desirable.
That "something" is called "rigged Hilbert space". Ballentine ch1 contains a gentle introduction.

Related to Hilbert space transformation under Poincaré translation

1. What is a Hilbert space transformation?

A Hilbert space transformation is a mathematical operation that maps a vector in one Hilbert space to a vector in another Hilbert space. It is used to study the properties of different physical systems, such as quantum mechanics, and is often represented by a unitary operator.

2. What is Poincaré translation?

Poincaré translation is a type of transformation that involves moving an object or system through space and time. It is named after the mathematician and physicist Henri Poincaré, who first described these transformations in the early 20th century as a part of the theory of relativity.

3. How does Poincaré translation affect Hilbert space?

Under Poincaré translation, the vectors in a Hilbert space are transformed by a specific set of mathematical operations, including rotations, boosts, and translations. These transformations preserve the underlying structure and properties of the Hilbert space, making it a useful tool for studying the effects of relativity on physical systems.

4. What are the applications of Hilbert space transformation under Poincaré translation?

The Hilbert space transformation under Poincaré translation has numerous applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and special relativity. It is used to model the behavior of particles and systems in different reference frames, and has also been applied in fields such as quantum information theory and quantum computing.

5. What are some key properties of Poincaré transformation in Hilbert space?

Some key properties of Poincaré transformation in Hilbert space include its unitarity, which ensures that the transformation is reversible, and its ability to preserve the inner product between vectors. It also satisfies the group properties of composition and inverse operations, making it a useful tool for analyzing the effects of relativity on physical systems.